- Also check our best rated Camera reviews
Olympus TG-820 Rugged Digital Compact Camera - Silver (12MP, 5x Wide Optical Zoom) 3.0 inch LCD
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.
- Make sure this fits by entering your model number.
- Waterproof to 5m, shockproof to 1.5m, crushproof to 100kg & freezeproof to -10°C
- New Olympus iHS technologies for capturing exactly the shots you want irrespective of shooting conditions
- Multi-motion Movie IS for recording Full HD movies with reduced blur while walking
- Improved TAP Control Mode for controlling the camera by tapping or tilting the body, ideal when wearing gloves
- 1080p Full HD Movie & HDMI Control
Have a question?
Find answers in product info, Q&As, reviews
Would you like to tell us about a lower price?
Click here for a larger image
The Olympus TOUGH TG-820: Impressive DSLR-style images even in lousy conditions
Being extra rugged is one thing; being intelligent with it is something else. The new Olympus TOUGH TG-820 will give your photography the edge, courtesy of a camera that pushes technology to its limits. And as you’d expect, to contend with the worst of all weathers, it’s still waterproof, shockproof, freeze proof and crush proof into the bargain.
As with all the latest generation Olympus compacts, the TG-820 features the triple punch ‘iHS’ family of technologies: intelligence, High Sensitivity and High Speed. These harness the combined power of a 12 megapixel backlit CMOS sensor and TruePic VI image processor, originally developed for digital SLRs (DSLRs).
Even when faced with tricky conditions, a dramatically improved low light performance is the result, along with a swifter performance and enhanced scene and subject recognition. Add to this: better results with fast moving subjects and when shooting night scenes. In short the TG-820 proves to be as sensitive as it is tough.
Click here for a larger image
When the going gets tough, the TOUGH gets even tougher!
Olympus was the first ever manufacturer to deliver super tough compact cameras. Active sports fans and the butter-fingered alike will be able to capture those otherwise unachievable high-resolution photos and Full HD videos thanks to a camera that self-protects its high precision components to provide peace of mind. As well as being ideal for inclement conditions, the TG-820 is crushproof to a weight of 100kg.
So utilise the TG-820’s precision 5x wide optical zoom which provides the 35m equivalent of a 28mm-140mm focal range to stay wide or get in close, plus the high visibility scratch resistant, extremely high 1,030,000 dot resolution HyperCrystal III LCD, 3-inches in size. There’s also a Super resolution Zoom option for extending the lens’ core range with virtually no loss in picture quality.
Furthermore for those aspiring free divers the TG-820 is waterproof to a depth of 10 metres, shockproofed against drops from a height of two metres and freeze proof down to -10°C. In addition, with water repellant and scratch resistant double seal technology, there is a sliding double lock mechanism for optimum protection of the battery, card slots and ports, plus a metal lens barrier for extra tough lens protection. Add it all up and this is a camera that’s as ideal for going on piste as it is lounging by the pool.
Click here for further information
Not just the TOUGH-est, it’s also the smartest
Toughened qualities aside, what’s new on the TG-820 this time around is iHS technology which, with its high sensitivity yet low noise capabilities, takes the work out of capturing high quality imagery. Now even those with a fast-paced, action packed lifestyle can expect to not only to have their camera remain in one piece, but also to deliver best ever images to be proud of, whether shooting stills or Full HD video.
To make doubly sure of the TG-820 delivering excellent images, it also features blazingly quick auto focus plus HDR Backlight Adjustment. Very useful for when you’re shooting against the light and want to avoid a silhouette effect, this feature shoots a collage of photos that are then blended into one perfectly exposed image.
For those who want to record their hi-jinks on video, Multi-Motion Movie IS (image stabilisation) affords blur free results even when the person recording is also in motion.
Picture control on Tap
Just to make the TG-820 even easier to use with slippery fingers or when wearing gloves, this Olympus comes with clever Tap Control Mode, which allows the LCD to be operated purely by tapping or tilting the casing.
There’s also a built-in manometer so users don’t literally get out of their depth when shooting underwater, along with a built in LED illuminator for lighting up underwater scenes or close up subjects.
Click here for a larger image
Packs in a 5x wide optical zoom lens and a plethora of easy to use features
No matter what the subject the 5x wide optical zoom, equivalent to 28-140mm in 35mm film terms, provides the scope for both precision and flexibility, while that 3-inch, high 1,030,000 dot resolution back screen allows for accurate shot composition and crystal clear playback.
Like the other Olympus TOUGH camera in the current range in the new TG-620, the TG-820 additionally incorporates all the comprehensive features you would expect to find on an Olympus digital camera.
These include Face Detection for perfect people pictures, Pet Detection, Intelligent Auto Mode (i-Auto), AF Tracking, Shadow Adjustment Technology. Add in a new generation TruePic VI processor for idea colour reproduction and low noise, Scene Mode, plus Beauty Mode for hiding unwanted blemishes, ISO80 to ISO6400 light sensitivity, built-in flash and in-camera panorama for quick and easy panorama shots and you have a versatile tool at your disposal.
Click here for a larger image
Dual Image Stabilisation
Providing two fold protection, this function is a combination of Optical Image Stabilisation using a built-in gyro sensor and microprocessor detects camera movement and adjusts the sensor accordingly, and Digital Image Stabilisation where the camera automatically increases ISO sensitivity to allow shorter shutter speeds. Both of these help to avoid image blur caused by camera shake or by fast-moving objects.
The Olympus range is now enhanced by a 3D shooting mode, lending images a striking sense of depth, from close up macro shots to expansive landscapes. This mode captures two shots from two different angles to create shots that can be viewed on a 3D compatible display.
Intelligent Automatic Mode (i-Auto)
Taking a great picture with the TG-820 is as easy as pointing and shooting, thanks to i-Auto mode. This compares common scenes and subjects with on board settings and automatically selects the most appropriate to deliver stunning results that optimize the impact of said subject.
Full High Definition movie capture
In the TG-820’s Full HD 1080p movie mode the camera captures video in the best quality currently available on a compact camera, with a resolution of 1920x1080 pixels for superbly smooth video with sound.
Click here for a larger image
12 Magic Filters for turning the everyday into the extraordinary
Specifically designed to expand the creative potential of digital photography, this impressive function of the TG-820 utilises in-camera image processing technology to effortlessly transform the everyday into extraordinary scenes. Simple to operate, the filters allow users to create entirely new worlds with their images. From vibrant colours and pencil drawings to mysterious or rounded perspectives, artistic spirits can magically turn ideas into reality. What’s more, most of the filters can be used when recording video as well as shooting stills.
Users can choose from Punk, Pop Art, Pin Hole, Drawing, Fish Eye, Soft Focus, Sparkle, Watercolour plus new additions Reflection, Miniature, Fragmented and Dramatic.
- Punk: Pose like Sid and Nancy and have your world turned dayglo pink, with this fun feature that transforms your photos into crudely photocopied fanzine style images, but in a good way.
- Pop Art: In the tradition of Andy Warhol, this effect enhances colours, making them stronger and more vivid. It creates high-impact pictures that express the happy, light-hearted feeling of the pop art style.
- Fish-Eye: With its distorted 180-degree perspective, this filter reproduces the dramatic effect of a fish-eye lens. It lends a new perspective to the whole scene with a “round” effect.
- Drawing: This filter gives the impression that subjects have been sketched on the fly by an artist just at the moment that inspiration struck. Images are transformed into line drawings for improvised, creative results.
- Pin Hole: For an ethereal feel, Pin Hole reduces the peripheral brightness of images like an image seen through a pinhole. Added to this is a unique colour tone that results in a style that has an air of secrecy or portrays the feeling of being lost in another dimension or space.
- Soft Focus: Give your portraits that romantic otherworldly look beloved of wedding photographers.
- Sparkle (photos only): A Magic Filter that truly imparts a sprinkling of fairy dust, adding twinkling reflections to shiny objects.
- Watercolour: With this option pictures are transformed into a watercolour painting framed by soft light.
- Reflection: A simulation of a magical horizontal reflection of your subject: for example as if it or they were standing next to perfectly still water.
- Miniature: Capture your subject and present them as if on a toy town scale.
- Fragmented (photos only): This newest photos-only filter can be applied to a photo of a landscape or people to produce a collage of tiles that looks as if the photo has been cut up and reassembled, providing an almost three dimensional feel.
- Dramatic: A photos only Magic Filter that adds a sense of drama and foreboding to any shot for stunning results even on the dullest of days.
Quick photo surfing thanks to innovative software
Thanks to [ib] software images can be browsed, organized, and viewed by person, place, location or event.
Eye-Fi card compatible
Connectivity is also enhanced by the Olympus TOUGH TG-820 being compatible with Eye-Fi media cards, enabling automatic wireless downloading of pictures, straight to your desktop, and facilitating photo sharing. Of course the camera is also compatible with regular SDHC and SDXC media cards.
USB Battery Charging
Connect the camera to a computer and let the battery charge while you save and organise your images.
Olympus TG-820 Silver
Li-50B Lithium-ion battery
CB-USB6 USB Cable
CB-AVC3 Audio/Video Cable
[ib] Image Management Software
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
It really is rugged. I've dropped it, stood on it and bashed in (not on purpose) and you'd never notice. I took it into the sea for some snorkelling in the maldives and it performed outstandingly! Hours in the sea and at depths of over 5 meters. Seriously good at video, much better than my canon SLR! I bought a 32GB card which gave me over 3 hours of HD video.
The screen at the back! wow! Its back lit and give stunning quality. better than any ££££ SLR screen that i've seen.
As for general photo quality its very good for a basic point and shoot. It takes a very resonable photo in a range of conditions and its very easy to use. Its won't match an SLR of course but thats understandable. It has a range of 'fun' modes to play with but you won't end up using them if you just want to take good photos.
There really is only one, but unfortunately its a BIG one. Battery. Its terrible. Ive had 5/6 cameras this size over the last 10 years and even the earliest out performs it. You can put it on power save mode and this helps alot but to be honest, it feels like you haven't got full use of the camera because it immediatly trying to turn the screen off.
I guess it is a bit fat for some pockets but that doesn't bother me.
Does the poor battery life mean don't get the camera? NO! its a superb camera. Just get your self a spare battery (£12ish)
I'm very happy with it and many of my friends who are keen SLR users are considering getting one as backup.