- Hardcover: 332 pages
- Publisher: Himalayan Institute Press (Dec. 1977)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0893890006
- ISBN-13: 978-0893890001
- Package Dimensions: 22.9 x 14.7 x 3.3 cm
- Average Customer Review: 4.7 out of 5 stars See all reviews (3 customer reviews)
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 7,474,838 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
Yoga and Psychotherapy: The Evolution of Consciousness Hardcover – 1 Dec 1977
Customers who bought this item also bought
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
If you are a seller for this product, would you like to suggest updates through seller support?
About the Author
Rama is the founder and spiritual head of the Himalayan Institute.
Swami Rama sounded branches of the Himalayan Institute in the U.S. and abroad, as well as a modern hospital in an impoverished region of India. He is the author of 30 books.
Ballentine is director of the Center for Holistic Medicine, which he founded 20 years ago. He studied psychology at the University of Paris (Sorbonne) and received his M.D. from Duke University. --This text refers to the Paperback edition.
Top Customer Reviews
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta) (May include reviews from Early Reviewer Rewards Program)
But the question remains. How can these wildly divergent sources of help be woven together into a comprehensible whole?
One way is to get two swamis and a western-trained medical doctor together to create a blended presentation of all these traditions. That is exactly what this book provides.
The authors describe how they worked through their own confusion, often staying up all night in the process. The result is "a comprehensive theory of personal evolution which incorporates the best of both systems [east and west]."
I thank them for overcoming their confusion because the book helps me overcome mine. This book is dense and challenging, but it rewards the hard work of anyone who studies it diligently. I recommend it highly.
Comparisons of the western to eastern psychotherapy are interesting to say the least. The book opens the question of how does one find a balance and drown the noises form outside? It unbinds the mind to those views we have somehow made our own.
I found it a worth while read.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Fitness & Exercise > Yoga
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Medical & Healthcare Practitioners > Other Branches of Medicine > Psychiatry
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Psychology & Psychiatry > Applied Psychology > Psychotherapy
- Books > Science & Nature > Medicine > Medical Sciences A-Z > Clinical Psychology & Psychotherapy
- Books > Science & Nature > Medicine > Medical Sciences A-Z > Psychotherapy & Clinical Psychology
- Books > Scientific, Technical & Medical > Medicine & Nursing > Medical Sciences A-Z