- Paperback: 88 pages
- Publisher: Princeton University Press; Fully Updated Second edition (21 July 2011)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1903657318
- ISBN-13: 978-1903657317
- Product Dimensions: 21.1 x 0.8 x 14.5 cm
- Average Customer Review: 4.7 out of 5 stars See all reviews (9 customer reviews)
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 550,244 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
Whales & Dolphins of the European Atlantic (2nd Edition) Paperback – Illustrated, 21 Jul 2011
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
If you are a seller for this product, would you like to suggest updates through seller support?
From the Back Cover
-[T]his is a very useful book. . . . It will definitely accompany me on my next sea-trip.---Mammal Society
About the Author
Dylan Walker and Graeme Cresswell are coauthors of several books, most recently the WILDGuides title "Whales and Dolphins of the North American Pacific" (with Todd Pusser). Walker is a leading authority on the whales and dolphins of the European Atlantic. The first person to run whale-watching tours in the Bay of Biscay, he has now crossed Biscay and the English Channel more than 200 times. An accomplished author, photographer, and tour guide, Walker now works for whale and dolphin conservation charity ORCA, and co-owns ethical ecotourism business Planet Whale. Cresswell, an accomplished marine mammal writer and photographer, has traveled extensively throughout the North Atlantic and North Pacific, where he has now photographed more than thirty species of cetacean. His articles and images have been widely published in magazines and newspapers, scientific journals, and books. He is a founding member of ORCA.
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Top Customer Reviews
In 2001, the authors produced the first comprehensive guide to the Whales and Dolphins of the European Atlantic (Ocean Guides). By making use of computer enhanced photographs - which combine the advantage of a photograph as an accurate record of an individual with the artist's ability to stress those features that are representative of the species - they created an impressive new tool for cetacean identification.
This current volume is a second edition. It describes all 31 species of cetacean recorded in the Bay of Biscay, English Channel, Celtic Sea and coastal SW Ireland. In a pocket-sized, 88 page, full-colour photographic guide you have all you need to identify whales and dolphins off the shores of the Cornish coast, on the ferry passage to France or Spain, or on a trip to the Hebrides. Improvements over the first edition include:-
· landscape (rather than portrait) format - which better allows the observer to keep the guide open in one hand, while holding a pair of binoculars (or a beverage!Read more ›
Since WILDGuides are a non-profit organisation which supports conservation throughout the world (in this case, profits go to the UK's Whale and Dolphin Conservation Society), you are helping efforts to ensure the survival of these animals for others to enjoy tomorrow. Check out WILDGuides other titles, all of which share the enhanced photography approach.
Highly recommended for experts and amateurs alike!
Having used it to prepare for and use on a cruise across the Bay of Biscay recently I cannot recommend it highly enough as a pocket guide. It is one of those books that reveals more information as you learn what you to look for.
For example: tucked away almost out of sight in the fold is a surface and dive sequence which is perfect for ID if only to rule out what you didn't see. Also the tabulated Box with Length, Breach behaviour and Blow pattern is consistent across all species and makes for easy reference.
Almost certainly the best small book to buy for a beginner and the one that even the seasoned expert guides will produce when in doubt or to illustrate a point.
Very reasonably priced and 5 stars for sure.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Great book for whale and dolphin ID! Well laid out and small enough to use in fieldPublished 12 months ago by Macgregor
Clear, concise, relevant and interesting. A handy guide. Good pictures and very clear maps. Made the trip to santander interesting.Published on 1 Nov. 2012 by bowen
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Science & Nature > Biological Sciences > Animal Sciences > Habitats
- Books > Science & Nature > Biological Sciences > Animal Sciences > Mammals
- Books > Science & Nature > Biological Sciences > Animal Sciences > Marine Life
- Books > Science & Nature > Biological Sciences > Hydrobiology
- Books > Science & Nature > Nature > Wild Animals > Aquatic Creatures
- Books > Scientific, Technical & Medical > Biology > Animal Sciences