- Paperback: 640 pages
- Publisher: Financial Times/ Prentice Hall; 14 edition (13 Aug. 2008)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1405873906
- ISBN-13: 978-1405873901
- Product Dimensions: 3.8 x 19 x 24.1 cm
- Average Customer Review: 4.7 out of 5 stars See all reviews (3 customer reviews)
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 1,649,390 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
- See Complete Table of Contents
Taxation: Finance Act 2008 Paperback – 13 Aug 2008
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
From the Back Cover
Taxation: Finance Act 2008
14th Annual Edition
Over 250 Worked Examples
Over 250 Exercises and Questions
On ACCA, CIPFA, AIA and IFA Reading Lists
"Taxation is an excellent text. Comprehensive in its coverage and set at just the right level no competition comes close!"
Paul Collier, University of Exeter
"Melville is always particularly well updated, with changed material fully integrated into the text, unlike some books that seem to bolt on new sections at random."
Richard Teather, University of Bournemouth
'I think this is a superb text....I can say without reservation this is a comprehensive and user friendly text.'
Siobhan Goggin, University of Lincoln
Taxation is the number one textbook on taxation in the UK. Now in its 14th annual edition, this excellent text has established itself as a reliable and comprehensive guide for students taking a first level course in the subject. This fourteenth edition brings the book completely up-to-date in accordance with the provisions of the Finance Act 2008.
- Explanations are clear and supported by numerous worked examples.
- Each chapter ends with exercises that thoroughly test the reader's understanding of the topics introduced in the chapter.
- Contains four sets of review questions, one at the end of each part, drawn from past examination papers of the professional accounting bodies.
- Solutions to most of the exercises and review questions are included in the final part of the book. Remaining solutions are provided in an Instructor's Manual.
New topics covered in this edition include:
- Abolition of the 10 per cent starting rate of income tax.
- Introduction of the 10 per cent starting rate for savings income.
- Gift Aid transitional relief.
- The new ISAs regime.
- Reform of the capital allowances system.
- Reform of capital gains tax.
- Entrepreneurs' relief.
- Transfer of unused IHT nil-rate band between spouses and civil partners.
- The new penalties regime for incorrect returns.
- Tribunal reform and the new appeals system.
- The £30,000 annual charge for users of the remittance basis.
This book will be of value to both undergraduate and professional students of business and accounting, and will be particularly useful for students preparing for the following examinations:
ICAEW Professional Stage, Principles of Taxation; Taxation; ACCA Fundamentals Level, Taxation; ACCA Technician Scheme, Preparing Taxation Computations; CIPFA Diploma Stage, Taxation; AAT Technician Stage, Preparing Personal and Business Tax Computations; ATT Certificates, Personal Taxation; Business Taxation and Accounting Principles; AIA Foundation Level, Auditing and Taxation; IFA Technician Level, Personal and Business Taxation.
Alan Melville FCA BSc Cert. Ed. is a Senior Lecturer with many years' experience of teaching taxation.
Top Customer Reviews
HMRC say, "tax doesn't have to be taxing" - with this book, it's not!