- Save 10% on selected children’s books, compliments of Amazon Family Promotion exclusive for Prime members .
The Oxford Illustrated History of Prehistoric Europe Paperback – 18 Jan 2001
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Special offers and product promotions
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Would you like to tell us about a lower price?
If you are a seller for this product, would you like to suggest updates through seller support?
takes the reader on a fascinating journey through the development of Western culture ― a definitive study. (Oxford Times)
About the Author
Barry Cunliffe is Professor of European Archaeology at the University of Oxford. The author of over 40 books, including The Ancient Celts, published by Oxford University Press, he has served as President of the Council for British Archaeology and the Society of Antiquaries, and is currently a member of the Ancient Monuments Board of English Heritage.
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Top customer reviews
In short, it is an amazing guide to several millennia of prehistory and early history. The book's chapters cover subjects such as:
1. The Peopling of Europe, 700,000-40,000 Years before the Present.
2. The Upper Palaeolithic Revolution.
3. The Mesolithic Age.
4. The First Farmers.
5. The Transformation of Early Agrarian Europe: The later Neolithic and Copper Ages, 4500-2500 BC.
6. The Palace Civilisations of Minoan Crete and Mycenaean Greece, 2000-1200 BC.
7. The Emergence of Elites: Earlier Bronze Age Europe, 2500-1300 BC.
8. The Collapse of Aegean Civilisation at the end of the Late Bronze Age.
9. Reformation in Barbarian Europe, 1300-600 BC.
10. Iron Age Societies in Western Europe and Beyond, 800-140 BC.
11. Thracians, Scythians, and Dacians, 800 BC-AD 300.
12. The Impact of Rome on Barbarian Society, 140 BC-AD 300.
13. Barbarian Europe, AD 300-700.
Each chapter is written by an expert on the subject, so we have Barry Cunliffe on Celtic culture, Andrew Sherratt on the Neolithic, and so on.
Because the chapters are often written by different authors, the book often varies in quality, as some sections are slightly better written than others. For instance I found the first chapter by Clive Gamble an interesting read, but I found a few others slightly dry and plodding. That said, the book makes up for this in the sheer wealth of information and facts it provides. The book has many maps, diagrams, charts and graphs, which helps explain the development of such things as tools, or the changes in European vegetation and enviroment.
The book's text is also accompanied by excellent photographs, both black and white and colour. These display photographs of archaeological sites or finds. They compliment the book very well.
Overall, this is a brilliant book, but it certainly isn't for absolute beginners, unless they are brave. The book does have it's downsides in that it can be difficult for the layperson at times. That said, a worthy read for those who'd like to know how civilisation first emerged in Western Europe.
a lot of information and is interesting and easy to understand and read.
However, I failed to spot when ordering that the book was first issued as a paperback in 1999 and then reissued in 2001. I can see no evidence of updating and all of the references and recommended books are from before this publication date.
An awful lot has happened in archaeology since then and this book does not reflect any of it.
If you were just interested in British early history I would recommend Timothy Darvill's "Prehistoric Britain".
Would you like to see more reviews about this item?
Look for similar items by category
- Books > History > Ancient History & Civilisation
- Books > History > Europe
- Books > History > World History
- Books > Science & Nature > Biological Sciences > Animal Sciences
- Books > Science & Nature > Earth Sciences & Geography > Palaeontology
- Books > Science & Nature > Nature > Dinosaurs
- Books > Scientific, Technical & Medical > Earth Sciences
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Social Sciences > Anthropology
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Social Sciences > Archaeology > By Period > Prehistoric
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Social Sciences > Archaeology > By Region