- Save 10% on selected children’s books, compliments of Amazon Family Promotion exclusive for Prime members .
LightWave 3D 8 Revealed Paperback – 18 Feb 2005
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Special offers and product promotions
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
If you are a seller for this product, would you like to suggest updates through seller support?
1. Learning the LightWave Interfaces 2. Creating and Selecting Objects 3. Transforming Objects 4. Extending, Duplicating, and Dividing Objects 5. Constructing and Detailing Objects 6. Surfacing Objects and Mapping Textures 7. Using Objects, Cameras, and Lights in the Layout Interface 8. Modify Layout Objects 9. Animating Objects 10. Working with the Graph Editor 11. Enabling Dynamics 12. Rendering the Scene 13. Using LScript
About the Author
Kelly has more than 15 years experience in the computer graphics arena, especially in the area of 3D graphics. Included in the experience is a variety of tasks from high-end CAD product design and architectural pre-visualization to virtual reality and games. Kelly is best known for his international best-selling books on graphics including the 3ds max Bible, Illustrator Bible and Naked Maya. He also is the author of Poser 6 and 7 Revealed as well as Edgeloop Character Modeling for 3D Professionals. Kelly currently works as a freelance designer for Logical Paradox Design, a company that he founded with his brother.
Top customer reviews
Not what I would call a quality product, buy Dan Ablan's books instead you won't regret buying those.
Most helpful customer reviews on Amazon.com
And it's quite misleading - for example, the amazing image of the building that is throughout the book on each chapter heading page would be impossible to create using the information this book provides - you'd need several years more experience and learning before getting to be good enough for that.
A disappointing purchase.
LightWave Revealed is crammed with simple excercises demostrating virtually every feature in LightWave, both Modeler and Layout. Accompaning each excercise is a concise explanation of what the tool does. Yet the book is only slightly over 400 pages. How can one cover all the multitude of tools in so little space? The answer is that this book is all meat. There's no pointless fluff. It packs lots of information in the pages, yet there's no sense of cramming. The pacing is easy.
Also, the pictures are some of the best I've ever seen in any graphics manual. Where some books print images that seem blotched, these are crisp and clear. They're actually slightly clearer than the images in the reference manual.
The book is divided into 13 chapters, which breaks down very neatly for a one semester course. There's no CD with sample files - you have to download those from a web site. Still, that keeps the book's price to a very reasonable level.
For some reason, though, books on 3D animation always tend to leave out something. In this case, Inverse Kinematics gets shut out. Still, the book covers so many topics that I even learned something about tools which I rarely use.
If you want descriptions of complete projects in LightWave, you'll have to look elsewhere. But for the beginning student, I haven't found a better introduction.
I would personally recommend one of Timothy Albee's books for learning lightwave tools from the beginning, as I have read his books as well. As a complete reference as well as slightly more in-depth training, go with Dan Ablan's Inside Lightwave series books.
I honestly feel I have wasted my money in buying this book.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Computing & Internet > Programming > Graphics & Multimedia
- Books > Computing & Internet > Software & Graphics > Graphics & Multimedia > 3-D Graphics
- Books > Computing & Internet > Software & Graphics > Graphics & Multimedia > Image Manipulation & Creation
- Books > Science & Nature > Engineering & Technology > Production, Manufacturing & Operational