- Paperback: 450 pages
- Publisher: Oxford University Press (1 Jan. 2000)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0195135326
- ISBN-13: 978-0195135329
- Product Dimensions: 27.7 x 3.3 x 21.3 cm
- Average Customer Review: 4.7 out of 5 stars See all reviews (3 customer reviews)
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 1,260,326 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
Information Graphics: A Comprehensive Illustrated Reference Paperback – 1 Jan 2000
Customers who bought this item also bought
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
If you are a seller for this product, would you like to suggest updates through seller support?
" ... an excellent reference"Zentralblatt Mathematik
Top Customer Reviews
Be clear, however - this is a book that almost exclusively focuses on visualising quantitative information - there's no 'signage' type concepts here, and there isn't even any colour, which is actually a bonus as colour would only introduce even more distraction. You will never have believed how many different ways you can chart a string of data points until you leaf through this tome.
The book, in attempting to catalogue charting from so many different dimensions, ends up repeating itself a lot - it could have been a third of its size and still conveyed the same volume of information.
It's a book that's great to flick through when you're looking for inspiration to show that piece of boring statistics in a more engaging form.
I would recommend that any one whose job involves visualization of data of any kind (even if it's basic charts on a Powerpoint presentation) obtain a copy of this along with Nathan Yu's books (Data Points, Visualize This), anything by Stephen Few and Tufte's four volumes and stay away from the utter rubbish by David McCandless (Information is Beautiful).
The book has the structure of an dictionary. It has entries for all kind of terms involved in making and describing graphs, etc. So it has for example a (long) entry on "Pie Chart", but also a separate entry on "Segment". It has lots of excellent illustrations, but even better is the text of the entries, explaining what the graph (map, table, etc.) is meant to show, discussing its parts, mentioning variations or alternatives, and indicating relations with other graphs (maps, tables, etc.). As such the book can also be used as a textbook to learn how to present data.
As the book was first published in 1996, one might think that it has become outdated with the increase of computer visualization tools. This is not the case. The quality of the illustrations in the book is much higher than what is produced by most of the software that is used nowadays.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta) (May include reviews from Early Reviewer Rewards Program)
It's all black and white, and omits some of the more recent developments (no Heat Maps, Tree Maps, Sparklines).However it's a serious professional reference that I have personally found useful
Could use an update
Information Graphics: A Comprehensive Illustrated Reference changed that. With this handy reference, which is never far from my keyboard, I have a 450-page catalog of ideas and guidance. What is remarkable is that in the 450 pages are 4,000 illustrations (nearly 10 per page). This book has allowed me to measurably improve the quality of my proposals and deliverables by picking the best possible way to convey information.
Don't let the fact that I am in the computer consulting industry deter you from buying this book - if you are in business, graphic arts, advertising and marketing or just about any other profession that uses data this book will be worth its weight in gold.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Art, Architecture & Photography > Design Studies > Graphic Design
- Books > Art, Architecture & Photography > Design Studies > Illustration
- Books > Art, Architecture & Photography > Encyclopaedias
- Books > Art, Architecture & Photography > Graphic Arts > Graphic Design
- Books > Art, Architecture & Photography > Graphic Arts > Illustration
- Books > Business, Finance & Law > Biographies & Histories > Business & Economic History
- Books > Business, Finance & Law > Management > Management Skills > Communication & Presentation
- Books > Business, Finance & Law > Reference & Education
- Books > Computing & Internet > Digital Lifestyle > Online Shopping > Amazon
- Books > Computing & Internet > Programming > Graphics & Multimedia
- Books > Computing & Internet > Software & Graphics > Graphics & Multimedia > Image Manipulation & Creation
- Books > Science & Nature > Engineering & Technology > Engineering Physics
- Books > Science & Nature > Engineering & Technology > Engineering Skills & Design > Technical Writing
- Books > Science & Nature > History & Philosophy > History of Mathematics
- Books > Science & Nature > History & Philosophy > Reference
- Books > Science & Nature > Mathematics > Combinatorics & Graph Theory
- Books > Science & Nature > Mathematics > History of Mathematics
- Books > Science & Nature > Mathematics > Reference
- Books > Science & Nature > Physics > Reference
- Books > Science & Nature > Popular Science > Physics
- Books > Scientific, Technical & Medical > Physics