Find Your Way Home--Bestselling Sat NavsPlan ahead and avoid traffic jams with one of our bestselling sat navs from top brands including TomTom and Garmin. We also stock a great range of up-to-date and fully-routable maps for your device, including popular destinations such as France, Portugal, North America and Scotland.
- Also check our best rated Travel Book reviews
Illustrating the Phaenomena: Celestial cartography in Antiquity and the Middle Ages Hardcover – 25 Oct 2012
|New from||Used from|
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Special offers and product promotions
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
If you are a seller for this product, would you like to suggest updates through seller support?
A book that will have many uses and a long life. It is beautifully illustrated, with numerous high-quality black-and-white photographs and eight color plates. Anyone interested in the representations of the heavens before the modern period will inevitably need to dip into this important book. (James Evans, ISIS)
An impressive and thorough account of 16 extant celestial globes and 40 celestial maps â There is no doubt that Dekker's volume will become a standard reference book on globes and maps from Antiquity to the Middle Ages and will be the starting point for scholars who want to study such artifacts further. â Dekker has delivered a great piece of work on celestial cartography, which together with her study on Globes at Greenwich is bound to become a classic. (Stamatina Mastorakou, AESTIMATIO)
To sum up, the expositions are very thorough and are repleted with footnotes and appendices. The research that spans from Antiquity to Medieval Europe seems exhaustive ... kudos to the author for her generosity in providing the difficult-to-access photographs, including the colour plates, which would be most useful to serious readers. (B. Ishak, Contemporary Physics)
...a splendid book that will be treasured by every serious student of the subject. (Deborah Jean Warner, Imago Mundi,)
This impressive study is the first comprehensive history of ancient and medieval celestial globes and maps based on the artifacts, most of which Elly Dekker has examined directly. Its greatest virtue is to combine mathematical and theoretical expertise with a practical approach to its objects. (Speculum)
Behold! An astonishingly thorough account of how observers from ancient Greece to fifteenth-century Vienna and Nuremberg envisioned the star patterns. It is hard to imagine that any celestial globe or manuscript from this period has escaped Elly Dekker's meticulous sleuthing and analysis. The result is this admirable and beautifully illustrated tour de force of scholarship. (Owen Gingerich, Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics)
About the Author
Elly Dekker is an independent scholar studying the history of astronomy and of scientific instruments. She was awarded the Sackler Fellowship and the Caird medal for cataloguing the collection of globes and armillary spheres of the National Maritime Museum at Greenwich.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Art, Architecture & Photography > History of Art & Architecture
- Books > Science & Nature > Astronomy & Cosmology > Astronomy > Charts
- Books > Science & Nature > Astronomy & Cosmology > Astronomy > Stars & Interstellar Matter
- Books > Science & Nature > Earth Sciences & Geography > Education > Higher Education
- Books > Science & Nature > Earth Sciences & Geography > Geography
- Books > Science & Nature > History & Philosophy > History of Science
- Books > Scientific, Technical & Medical > Astronomy & Cosmology > Astronomical Charts & Atlases
- Books > Scientific, Technical & Medical > Astronomy & Cosmology > Astronomy
- Books > Travel & Holiday > Atlases & Maps > Special Interests > Road & Car