- Paperback: 234 pages
- Publisher: CRC (2 May 2002)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0415246512
- ISBN-13: 978-0415246514
- Product Dimensions: 15.2 x 1.3 x 22.9 cm
- Average Customer Review: 5.0 out of 5 stars See all reviews (1 customer review)
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 1,251,412 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
- See Complete Table of Contents
GIS Basics Paperback – 2 May 2002
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Customers Who Viewed This Item Also Viewed
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
"Stephen Wise's articles have provided a clear and simple introduction to the inner workings of GIS for a non-specialist audience" -- Geometre - Landmeter, Jaargand - Année 44, 2002
From the Publisher
Specific areas explained include:
how GIS operates in the way that it does.
how spatial data is stored on a computer.
how different methods affect the capabilities of the GIS.
how basic operations are performed.
how the choice of algorithm affects the speed of the system. --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.
Top Customer Reviews
The only slight led-down is the quality of some of the illustrations which are not good and actually put me off reading the text for some while. But, don't let them (or the uninspiring front cover) put you off. This is a good book, very readable and an excellent complement to more general books on the field such as Longley et al.'s Geographical Information Systems and Science (Wiley: 2001). Indeed, I'd recommend these two books as a 'pair' that go well together and provide excellent learning to anyone interested in GIScience and -Systems.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Business, Finance & Law
- Books > Science & Nature > Earth Sciences & Geography > Education > Higher Education
- Books > Science & Nature > Earth Sciences & Geography > Geography > Cartography, Geodesy & Geographic Information Systems
- Books > Science & Nature > Earth Sciences & Geography > Geography > Reference
- Books > Science & Nature > Earth Sciences & Geography > Reference
- Books > Science & Nature > Engineering & Technology > Reference
- Books > Science & Nature > Food & Farming > Agricultural Science
- Books > Science & Nature > Mathematics > Reference
- Books > Scientific, Technical & Medical > Earth Sciences