- Paperback: 533 pages
- Publisher: Dover Publications Inc. (1 April 1985)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 048621866X
- ISBN-13: 978-0486218663
- Product Dimensions: 23.3 x 16.5 x 2.6 cm
- Average Customer Review: 3.5 out of 5 stars See all reviews (15 customer reviews)
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 257,579 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
Egyptian Book Of The Dead Paperback – 1 Apr 1985
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
From the Back Cover
The Egyptian Book of the Dead is unquestionably one of the most influential books in all history. Embodying a ritual to be performed for the dead, with detailed instructions for the behaviors of the disembodied spirit in the Land of the Gods, it served as the most important repository of religious authority for some three thousand years. Chapters were carved on the pyramids of the ancient 5th Dynasty, texts were written in papyrus, and selections were painted on mummy cases well into the Christian Era. In a certain sense it stood behind all Egyptian civilization.In the year 1888, Dr. E. Wallis Budge, then purchasing agent for the British Museum, followed rumors he heard of a spectacular archeological find in Upper Egypt, and found in an 18th Dynasty tomb near Luxor "the largest roll of papyrus I had ever seen, tied with a thick band of papyrus, and in a perfect state of preservation." It was a copy of the Egyptian Book of the Dead, written around 1500 B.C. for Ani, Royal Scribe of Thebes, Overseer of the Granaries of the Lords of Abydos, and Scribe of the Offerings of the Lord of Thebes.This Papyrus of Ani, a full version of the Theban recension, is presented here by Dr. Budge, who later became perhaps the world's most renowned Egyptologist. Reproduced in full are a clear copy of the Egyptian hieroglyphs, an interlinear transliteration of their sounds (as reconstructed), a word-for-word translation, and separately a complete smooth translation. All this is preceded by an introduction of more than 150 pages. As a result of this multiple apparatus the reader has a unique opportunity to savor all aspects of the Book of the Dead, or as it is otherwise known, The Book of the Great Awakening.
About the Author
E. A. Wallis Budge, the author of numerous books, was once the Keeper of Egyptian and Assyrian Antiques in the British Museum. --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
In a distinguished career as an Egyptologist, he wrote many books, developed the world's knowledge of the ancient country and expanded the British Museum's Egyptian collection enormously.
This well-illustrated text, (although few are in colour) contains full reproductions of books of the dead, including the Papyrus of Ani, and complete translations of their content.
It is a very good - but scholarly and without frills - introduction to ancient Egyptian religion, funeral rites and attitudes to death and life after death. Interestingly, the more familiar one becomes with Egyptian religious rituals and ideas, the more familiar they seem; the roots of modern religious beliefs and practices seem to lie just beneath the desert sands.
Recommended, especially at this price.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Yep, this seller is selling these ebooks, which are taken without permission from the free site, GlobalGrey. All his books are from that website, and are available there for free.Published on 5 July 2014 by Naji
Look for similar items by category
- Books > History > Ancient History & Civilisation > Aztec, Inca & Mayan
- Books > History > Ancient History & Civilisation > Egypt
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > Ireland
- Books > History > Countries & Regions > Africa > Northern
- Books > History > Religious History > Other Religions
- Books > History > World History
- Books > Religion & Spirituality > New Age > Occult
- Books > Religion & Spirituality > Sacred Texts > Book of the Dead (Egyptian)
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Academic Philosophy
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Philosophy
- Books > Travel & Holiday > Countries & Regions > Africa > Egypt