- Paperback: 326 pages
- Publisher: Cambridge University Press; 1 edition (13 Mar. 2014)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1107690943
- ISBN-13: 978-1107690943
- Product Dimensions: 18.9 x 1.5 x 24.6 cm
- Average Customer Review: 5.0 out of 5 stars See all reviews (1 customer review)
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 550,484 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
- See Complete Table of Contents
The Design and Statistical Analysis of Animal Experiments Paperback – 13 Mar 2014
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
If you are a seller for this product, would you like to suggest updates through seller support?
'At last, a readable statistics book focusing solely on preclinical experimental designs, data and its analysis that should form part of an in-vivo scientist's personal library. The author's unique insight into the statistical needs of preclinical scientists has allowed them to compile a non-technical guide that can facilitate sound experimental design, meaningful data analysis and appropriate scientific conclusions. I would also encourage all readers to download and explore 'InVivoStat', a powerful software package that both my group and I use on a daily basis.' Darrel J. Pemberton, Janssen Research and Development
'This book provides an indispensable reference for any in-vivo scientist. It addresses common pitfalls in animal experiments and provides tangible advice to address sources of bias, thus increasing the robustness of the data. … The text links experimental design and statistical analysis in a practical way, easily accessible without any prior statistical knowledge. The statistical concepts are described in plain English, avoiding overuse of mathematical formulas and illustrated with numerous examples relevant to biomedical scientists. … This book will help scientists improve the design of animal experiments and give them the confidence to use more complex designs, enabling more efficient use of animals and reducing the number of experimental animals needed overall.' Nathalie Percie du Sert, National Centre for the Replacement, Refinement and Reduction of Animals in Research
'This book will transform the way biomedical scientists plan their work and interpret their results. Although the subject matter covers complex points, it is easy to read and packed with relevant examples. There are two particularly striking features. First, at no point do the authors resort to mathematical equations as a substitute for explaining the concepts. Secondly, they explain why the choice of experimental design is so important, why the design affects the statistical analysis and how to ensure the choice of the most appropriate statistical test. The final section describes how to use InvivoStat (a software package, assembled by the authors), which enables researchers to put into practice all the points covered in this book. This is an invaluable combination of resources that should be within easy reach of anyone carrying out experiments in the biomedical sciences, especially if their work involves using live animals.' Clare Stanford, University College London
This is the first book to provide life scientists with a practical guide to using experimental design and statistics when running animal experiments. The chapters cover a range of design types and analysis techniques employed by practitioners, using non-mathematical terms and drawing on real-life examples.See all Product description
Top Customer Reviews
Highly recommended, especially for PhD students and beyond.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Medical & Healthcare Practitioners
- Books > Science & Nature > Biological Sciences > Animal Sciences > Behaviour
- Books > Science & Nature > Experiments, Instruments & Measurements > Equipment & Techniques
- Books > Science & Nature > Mathematics > Probability & Statistics
- Books > Science & Nature > Nature > Education
- Books > Scientific, Technical & Medical > Biology > Animal Sciences
- Books > Scientific, Technical & Medical > Mathematics > Applied Mathematics > Statistics & Probability
- Books > Scientific, Technical & Medical > Research & Development