- Paperback: 640 pages
- Publisher: John Wiley & Sons; 1 edition (25 Oct. 2011)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 047055424X
- ISBN-13: 978-0470554241
- Product Dimensions: 15.2 x 3.4 x 20.3 cm
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 3,849,195 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
The Culinarian: A Kitchen Desk Reference Paperback – 25 Oct 2011
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
If you are a seller for this product, would you like to suggest updates through seller support?
From the Back Cover
Have you ever wondered what the difference is between a yam and a sweet potato? Or gotten home from the farmers′ market and thought, "Now what on earth do I do with fiddlehead ferns?" The Culinarian holds the answers to these and many more culinary conundrums, such as how to trim an artichoke or choose a ripe cantaloupe. This illuminating culinary dictionary includes clear, plain–English definitions for thousands of food terms from Absinthe to Zucchini, as well as tips on selecting, storing, and using every ingredient and piece of kitchen equipment imaginable. The ideal complement to your favorite cookbook, The Culinarian is chock–full of captivating food trivia and history, plus information on measurements, yields and equivalents, and other useful tidbits. Flip to any page and delve into fascinating culinary trivia, or use it to pinpoint the information you need to get dinner on the table tonight. No matter how you use it, The Culinarian is a must–have kitchen reference for anyone who loves to cook.
About the Author
Barbara Ann Kipfer is a lexicographer and an enthusiastic culinarian. The bestselling author of 14,000 Things to Be Happy About and other list, reference, archaeology, and spiritual books, she holds PhDs in linguistics, archaeology, and Buddhist studies and has worked as a lexicographer and ethnographer for more than thirty years. Her website is thingstobehappyabout.com.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta) (May include reviews from Early Reviewer Rewards Program)
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Food & Drink > Reference & Gastronomy > Encyclopaedias & Dictionaries
- Books > Science & Nature > Earth Sciences & Geography > Education > Higher Education
- Books > Science & Nature > Earth Sciences & Geography > Geology > Reference
- Books > Science & Nature > Earth Sciences & Geography > Reference
- Books > Scientific, Technical & Medical > Geology