- Hardcover: 706 pages
- Publisher: Timber Press; Upd Sub edition (30 Sept. 1996)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0881923540
- ISBN-13: 978-0881923544
- Product Dimensions: 21.6 x 5.1 x 27.9 cm
- Average Customer Review: 4.2 out of 5 stars See all reviews (5 customer reviews)
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 2,992,747 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
Conifers: The Illustrated Encyclopedia (Two Volumes) Hardcover – 30 Sep 1996
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
If you are a seller for this product, would you like to suggest updates through seller support?
"A tantalizing overview of nearly 1,200 evergreens now in cultivation."--Linda Yang, New York Times, October 1, 1986--Linda Yang "The New York Times "
From the Publisher
The most complete photographic guide to conifers
Compiled by two of the world's authorities on the subject and illustrated throughout in full color, this book is the most complete collection of photographs of conifers ever assembled. The authors' acclaimed earlier book, Conifers, forms the nucleus of Conifers: The Illustrated Encyclopedia, but the greatly expanded coverage of cultivars and additional photos make the present work more than twice the size.
The authors have added 10 genera, bringing the total covered to 65. Included for each genus are notes on distribution, discussion of botanical characteristics and classification, and lists of species of particular merit. New in this two-volume set are a common name index, an index of synonyms, a suggested reading list, and a brief essay on photographing conifers. The photographs display fine details of bark, cones, and needles as well as general habit.
Top Customer Reviews
But these minor problems are more than compensated for by the wonderful habitat photos of rare things like Welwitschias near Walvis Bay, Dacrydiums in Fiji, wild-type Mediterranean cypresses in Turkey, and the new Wollemia pines of Australia. And among the 2,574 photos are two showing the root parasite Parasitaxus ustus on its New Caledonian host Falcatifolium taxoides, red foliage and all.
For these reasons and others, this 2-volume set should be on every conifer enthusiast's bookshelf.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Home & Garden > Gardening > Encyclopedias
- Books > Home & Garden > Gardening > Plants > Trees & Shrubs
- Books > Home & Garden > Gardening > Professional Horticulture
- Books > Home & Garden > Interior Design & Decoration
- Books > Science & Nature > Biological Sciences > Botany & Plant Sciences > Reference
- Books > Science & Nature > Food & Farming > Horticulture
- Books > Scientific, Technical & Medical > Agriculture & Farming