- Hardcover: 280 pages
- Publisher: Flammarion (25 Oct. 2004)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 2080304429
- ISBN-13: 978-2080304421
- Product Dimensions: 24.6 x 3 x 31.2 cm
Amazon Bestsellers Rank:
1,689,030 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
- #1126 in Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Social Sciences > Archaeology > By Period > Classical Greek & Roman
- #2148 in Books > Art, Architecture & Photography > Architecture > Criticism & Theory
- #2344 in Books > Art, Architecture & Photography > Architecture > Techniques & Tools > Structure & Design
Classical Greek Architecture: The Construction of the Modern Hardcover – 25 Oct 2004
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
If you are a seller for this product, would you like to suggest updates through seller support?
The ancient Greeks built some of the most timeless and enduring monuments the world has ever seen - sites that have become synonymous with all that is best in European culture, from the Parthenon and the temple of Athena Nike to the Olympic Stadium. Professor Alexander Tzonis, a renowned architectural historian, examines the significance of the buildings and sites of Greek classical antiquity, not as an expression of pedantic rules, but as an innovative design paradigm: suiting the architecture to the needs of the site. He stresses the contribution of these anonymous planners to the thinking of the modern architectural movement. Classical Greek Architecture features fascinating archival photographs, site maps, and architectural plans. It discusses not only the technology, but also the myths and rituals, the social structures, and political conflicts that have all left their mark in the ultimate design of the building. With chapters covering a range of topics from the status of Greek architecture today and the uses of the various types of building to the influences of African and Asian cultures on the Greeks, this is a thorough, scholarly, yet accessible work of reference.The text is accompanied by a number of invaluable appendices, including maps, a glossary, and a detailed bibliography.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta) (May include reviews from Early Reviewer Rewards Program)
And the book it beautiful -- well designed, a beautiful collection of photographs, excellent line drawings. The images and drawings are so good everyone in my office was pouring over this thing all week.
Finally -- it is a compelling argument for the continuing relevance of the greek architectural accomplishment.
The drawings, photos, and layout are so good that it's like sitting down with an old friend. A very welcome "old" friend.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Art, Architecture & Photography > Architecture > Criticism & Theory
- Books > Art, Architecture & Photography > Architecture > Planning
- Books > Art, Architecture & Photography > Architecture > Techniques & Tools > Structure & Design
- Books > Art, Architecture & Photography > History of Art & Architecture
- Books > Art, Architecture & Photography > Styles & Movements
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Social Sciences > Archaeology > By Period > Classical Greek & Roman