- Also check our best rated Children’s Book reviews
Burglar Bill (Picture Puffin) Paperback – 25 Jan 1979
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
If you are a seller for this product, would you like to suggest updates through seller support?
Burglar Bill is the delightful story of a thief who lives off other people's fortunes, until two major events change his life forever. The first is when he steals a box only to find it contains a baby, and the second is when he, too, is burgled, by Burglar Betty. The improbable union that follows offers a convenient moral that turns both thieves into honest folk who vow to keep on the straight and narrow.
Bright illustrations (if somewhat stereotypical, with Burglars Bill and Betty in stripy shirts, eye masks and carrying swag bags!) cheer up this somewhat serious tale and break up the text for first readers. A lovely story to read together at bedtime. (Ages 4 to 7 years) --Lucie Naylor
Amazon.co.uk Teacher Review
Children need to read at home every day to practise the reading skills that they have been taught. Here are some tips to help make Burglar Bill part of your child's reading routine:
- choose a time when you and your child both want to read, sit somewhere comfortable and quiet.
- before you begin to read, get a "feel" for the book by looking at the cover, front and back and talking about it.
- let your child hold the book and turn the pages. Look at the pictures.
- look for the little details--they help the child to understand what the book is about.
- let your child "read" the book to you by talking about each picture.
- read the book again and again if you both enjoy it.
From the Back Cover
Who's that creeping down the street?
Who's that climbing up the wall?
Who's that coming through the window?
Who's that? ... It's Burglar Bill.
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Top Customer Reviews
Warm and engaging and the fact its still in print today is testament to its brilliance.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Bought as present but remember it being a great favourite with my son, way back..Published 4 months ago by glorious downs
Doesn't get any more old school than this. I have purchased this for my daughters birthday, which isn't until later in the year, however this is a great read.Published 4 months ago by Leanne