- Save 10% on selected children’s books, compliments of Amazon Family Promotion exclusive for Prime members .
- Also check our best rated Biography reviews
Bomber Command Paperback – 27 Aug 1993
|New from||Used from|
|Paperback, 27 Aug 1993||
Special offers and product promotions
Customers who bought this item also bought
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
If you are a seller for this product, would you like to suggest updates through seller support?
A brilliant tour-de-force. (Times Literary Supplement) --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.
'A brilliant tour-de-force.' (The Times Literary Supplement) --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.See all Product description
Top customer reviews
Trying to find military targets was virtually impossible and we tried to then break the moral of the German people as they had done here by area bombing. Both Churchill and Harris were agreed on this line of offence against the enemy.
55,000 aircrew lost their lives carrying out these attacks. Sadly they were not even mentioned by Churchill in his victory speech. All he could talk about was the Battle of Britain! They never even got a medal for trying to carry out an impossible task He had ordered. Bomber Command and the brave men who flew those missions were castigated by the young who never lived through that conflict. Those brave very young men died for nothing doing what they were ordered to do. The anger of those who know no better should be turned on Churchill not the young men who did what he alone ordered. As. Harris said " They (Germany) sowed the wind and they reaped the whirlwind"
A fine book and I recommend it especially to the present generation.
It tries to cover more of the reaction/views on the bomber command, yet doesn't really delve onto the publics opposition much.
I still have to finish the book (about 75% read) and recommend this to anyone who wants to understand the drama, politics and terror of flying these operations
Would you like to see more reviews about this item?
Most recent customer reviews
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Biography > Film, Television & Music > Music
- Books > Biography > Historical > 1901 Onwards
- Books > Biography > Historical > Britain > Military
- Books > Biography > Historical > Countries & Regions > Europe
- Books > Biography > Historical > Countries & Regions > Germany
- Books > Biography > Political > Britain
- Books > Biography > Political > Countries & Regions
- Books > Biography > War & Espionage > Air Force
- Books > Biography > War & Espionage > World War II
- Books > History > Europe > Germany
- Books > History > Europe > Great Britain > 20th Century
- Books > History > Military History > Armed Forces > Air Forces
- Books > History > Military History > World War II 1939-1945 > Biographies & Memoirs
- Books > History > Military History > World War II 1939-1945 > Origins
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Warfare & Defence > War & Defence Operations