- Hardcover: 192 pages
- Publisher: Pen & Sword Books Ltd (26 Oct. 2012)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1848848277
- ISBN-13: 978-1848848276
- Product Dimensions: 16 x 2.3 x 23.4 cm
- Average Customer Review: 4.4 out of 5 stars See all reviews (19 customer reviews)
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 513,962 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
The Battle of Hastings 1066 - The Uncomfortable Truth: Revealing the True Location of England's Most Famous Battle Hardcover – 26 Oct 2012
|New from||Used from|
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Viewed This Item Also Viewed
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
"Not only does it pose the challenging question where the Battle of Hastings was fought, it is also a gripping account of the run-up to and the battle itself and I did find it an enjoyable read. I love also the guide through the almost impenetrable who's' who of the claimants of the throne at that time." Howard Leader BBC Lincolnshire & BBC Humberside "The book bowls along and is a real page turner" History Today
About the Author
John Grehan has written or contributed to more than sixty books, magazines and journals covering a large span of military history from the Iron Age to the present war in Afghanistan.This is his third book in collaboration with Martin Mace. He has been part of the editorial team of Britain at War Magazine since its inception in 2007. Martin Mace has been involved in writing and publishing military history for more than twenty years. He began his career with local history, writing a book on the Second World War anti-invasion defences in West Sussex. Following the success of this book, he established Historic Military Press, which has published a wide range of titles. Having launched Britain at War Magazine, he has been its editor since the first issue in May 2007.
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
The big question is, do I think they are right? Yes I really do. And next weekend I'm off to Battle to look at the ground for myself. This book has revived my interest in this period of history. If you think you know all about the Battle of Hastings, believe me until you have read this, you haven't!
On a side note the book provides a very useful overview of the differen historical schools of thought on aspects of the battle itself. It will be interesting to see whether this book brings a landmark shift in historical opinion on the site of the Battle of Hastings.
Ultimately though, we'll never really know as nothing was written down, no photographs were taken at the time of the battle, no TV cameras were there to record the battle taking place. We just have a pretty wall-hanging (Bayeux Tapestry) that can't be taken literally (it was produced by the victors and anyone who knows military history will know that the victor always shows the "facts" in their favour), a few writings from monks (the only people who could write in those days, but they weren't there, so how did they know what happened?).
Interesting reading about how different people piece all this together though.
As one who identified the site of Mons Graupius, the Scottish equivalentof Hastings, but between the Romans and the Caledonians
by the presence of the graves, I failed to understand why the authors failed to use similar techniques (magnetic anomaly or ground radar) to identify the Hastings burials and hence the battle site. I offered such a survey (free) following reading the book, it was ignored.
In addition, I would have liked to hear of any discoveries made of artefacts at the alternative site.
The reason I gave this a 4 star rating is because it got me thinking and researching a bit more on my own - an inspiration for a few weeks.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
The battle must have been somewhere and not in front of the abbey .got to be calbec hill ( in my humble opinion) good idea it makes sense and time team didn't convince me either.Published 27 days ago by bryan
Thought provoking book, written by a school friend, so obviously has a 5 star ratingPublished 3 months ago by Amazon Customer
A superb book and a truly fascinating perspective on the Battle of HastingsPublished 10 months ago by PD
I am writing a novel, set about 4yrs after the Battle and this has cleared up a few puzzling things for me. Very good informative work!Published on 31 July 2014 by Mrs. D. Healey
I thought the Time Team special was good, but this book provides a much better, logical site for the battle which is supported by many references. Read morePublished on 28 Jan. 2014 by Georgian Mildred
Bought for my daughter who was studying the Battle of Hastings in school. She was delighted.
Thank you for your prompt handling.
Yours sincerely Bev Shannon
At last,a book about a pivot-able event that knows what its talking about. With respectable views by experts not Victorian followons.Published on 1 Dec. 2013 by Reginald Iveson
Look for similar items by category
- Books > History > Ancient History & Civilisation
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > Anglo-Saxon 500-1000
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > Black Death
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > British Heads of State
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > Early British & Roman Britain
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > Ireland
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > Norman and Medieval 1001-1500
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > Wars of the Roses
- Books > History > Essays, Journals, Letters & True Accounts > Classical, Early & Medieval
- Books > History > Europe > Pre-500
- Books > History > Europe > Vikings, Dark Ages, Medieval Europe 501-1500
- Books > History > Military History > Weapons & Warfare
- Books > History > World History > 501-1500
- Books > History > World History > Pre-500
- Books > History > World History > World War II 1939-1945 > Weapons
- Books > Sports, Hobbies & Games > Hobbies & Games