- Paperback: 152 pages
- Publisher: Churchill Livingstone; 1 edition (18 Sept. 2007)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 044310414X
- ISBN-13: 978-0443104145
- Product Dimensions: 18.5 x 12.7 x 0.8 cm
- Average Customer Review: 4.6 out of 5 stars See all reviews (23 customer reviews)
Amazon Bestsellers Rank:
188,149 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
- #21 in Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Medical & Healthcare Practitioners > Internal Medicine > Haematology
- #28 in Books > Science & Nature > Medicine > Medical Sciences A-Z > Accident & Emergency Medicine > Intensive Care
- #68 in Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Medical & Healthcare Practitioners > Internal Medicine > Cardiovascular
- See Complete Table of Contents
Arterial Blood Gases Made Easy, 1e Paperback – 18 Sep 2007
There is a newer edition of this item:
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
"This is an excellent quick read which introduces an important aspect of ICU physiology.
Doody Enterprises, Inc. July 2008
"Arterial blood gas analysis is often perceived as one of the most difficult topics to be covered in the laboratory medicine curriculum, so many will welcome the promise contained in the title of this book, albeit with a degree of scepticism. They will not be disappointed. This excellent pocket-sized handbook, which can be read at one sitting, is an object lesson in clarity. This really is arterial blood gases made easy. The book is divided into two equal sections. The first covers basic physiology and concepts required for interpretation of blood gas results under four headings: gas exchange in the lungs, disturbance of gas exchange, normal acid-base balance, and the four classes of acid-base disturbance. This first section also covers arterial blood collection technique and includes two flow charts for interpretation of blood gas results. The success of this first section as an educative tool depends on attention to only that which is essential, economy of writing, and liberal use of artwork. This is a thoughtfully designed book, which is very pleasing to the eye and, in the best possible way, easy on the brain! The second half of the book comprises 25 case scenarios that enable readers to test their understanding of the first section. These case scenarios are purpose-written so that each exemplifies a different way in which blood gas results can be deranged in a genuine real-life clinical setting. Presentation and discussion of each is brief but like all other parts of the book, focused and highly informative. Aimed primarily at medical students, junior doctors and specialist nurses, this book assumes almost no knowledge of the topic on behalf of the reader and covers a lot of ground in a short and highly accessible read that should instil real confidence for accurate interpretation of blood gas results in most, if not all clinical circumstance. Excellent value."
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
i have already gone through it twice and it gave me a quick refresher on the subject before ward rounds
This book is definitely a must have for medical students and junior doctors alike. It goes through arterial blood gases in a easy manor. I'm lucky in my medical school that i get taught a lot about ABGs but if your not this is a must. What is even better is at the end there are over 20 examples of ABGs, which helps to consolidate your learning! Superb book
Use for Revision:
Recommend to a friend:
I was slightly disappointed because I thought that for the amount I paid, there would be more information in it. The pages look slightly scare and theres usually some words on the left page and a diagram on the right page. Not all the diagrams are fantastic or useful e.g. there is a picture of the lungs with the ribs, trachea and loebs labelled. Sometimes it seemed like the diagram was there for the sake of taking up some space. Even the pages with words weren't always filled up. It's very easy to read. I don't think I even saw the work "chemoreceptors" under the physiology section. The term they used was "specialised receptors".
1) I found about half the cases quite useful. The answers span about half to one page. They are all very well explained and not unnecessarily wordy. I especially like the cases that were linked to the previous case because you get to see how ABGs can change as the disease progresses.
2) It's colourful. So even if the diagrams aren't useful, the colours make it a more pleasant to look at and get through.
3) The 2 pages on oxygen delivery masks held some pretty good points that weren't brought up in my ABG lectures
4) The little note boxes: Those were quite relevant and informative.
Otherwise, expect something quite basic. If you have not read anything on ABGs, start with this book. But if you're a 2nd or 3rd year, then maybe you'd do better borrowing it from the library and making some notes. It took me a few hours to get through it and take notes, coffee breaks included. It is quite pricey for the size and content.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
This is a very easily read and understandable book, I've been an ITU Nurse for 11 1/2 years and this is a great help when teaching students.Published 14 months ago by Christopher Harris
This book is amazing, so simple to read& understand. Would highly recommend and I do to my students!Published 19 months ago by sarah
Exactly what I required to understand the complexity of arterial blood gas results.Published on 25 Aug. 2014 by MJ
This is not a book just on blood gasses,it goes a long way to explain the pathophysiology behind the results. Read morePublished on 9 May 2014 by sherry fashola
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Medical & Healthcare Practitioners > Internal Medicine > Cardiovascular
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Medical & Healthcare Practitioners > Internal Medicine > Haematology
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Medical & Healthcare Practitioners > Other Branches of Medicine > Pathology
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Medical & Healthcare Practitioners > Surgery
- Books > Science & Nature > Medicine > Medical Sciences A-Z > Accident & Emergency Medicine > Intensive Care
- Books > Science & Nature > Medicine > Medical Sciences A-Z > Surgery
- Books > Scientific, Technical & Medical > Medicine & Nursing > Basic Medical Science
- Books > Scientific, Technical & Medical > Medicine & Nursing > Medical Sciences A-Z > Surgery