- Paperback: 432 pages
- Publisher: Adobe; Mac Win Pa edition (22 May 2012)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0321827333
- ISBN-13: 978-0321827333
- Product Dimensions: 18.5 x 2.3 x 22.6 cm
- Average Customer Review: 4.4 out of 5 stars See all reviews (77 customer reviews)
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 210,674 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
- See Complete Table of Contents
Adobe Photoshop CS6 Classroom in a Book (Classroom in a Book (Adobe)) Paperback – 22 May 2012
|New from||Used from|
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
There is a newer edition of this item:
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
If you are a seller for this product, would you like to suggest updates through seller support?
About the Author
The Adobe Creative Team of designers, writers, and editors has extensive, real world knowledge of Adobe products. They work closely with the Adobe product development teams to come up with creative, challenging, and visually appealing projects to help both new and experienced users get up to speed quickly on Adobe software products.
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Top Customer Reviews
There is a DVD with tutorial files on which makes this well worth the spend. I started with Photoshop in the early 90s with version 2. I have not kept up to date beyond CS3 so this book was also purchased to bring me up to speed with some of the more recent tools, not least the content aware fill, which would have had the entire Adobe staff hung, burned or drowned for witchcraft had this tool been available in medieval times. I was at an Adobe conference and their message is that a lot of these tools are intended to save time which can still be billed to a client. I firmly believe with this release they have achieved that.
Having written courses myself, I know the importance of covering off the fundamentals and getting timing right, to allow students to solidify their understanding. On that note I believe this book is presented well, introducing more basic concepts earlier and advanced topics separately. Tutorials are about an hour per chapter which is about the right amount of time.
Where could the book be improved? Well my main criticism is that where students are presented with a group of settings, the book often lacks detail on these settings. There is no science behind many of these; they will vary for each image.Read more ›
If I could, I'd give this 4.5 out of 5 rather than 5; to give this book less than 4 seems a little unfair considering how helpful it's been though I don't think it quite deserves a full 5 stars.
So a bit of background about where I'm coming from - I'm a bit of a computer geek who likes to mess around with computer programs in my spare time. Having said that, I am NOT a designer nor particularly talented when it comes to design. So yes, I can use computers reasonably well and enjoy tinkering; no, I'm not a creative type.
I have recently started to need to rework photos for work and have more detailed input into what our design team do, and so I thought that I'd try to learn Photoshop once and for all to improve my contribution to the team, hence why I bought this book on Amazon.
Long story short, this book has a chapter on each of the major uses and tools in the CS6 suite and it talks you through each tool one by one. By the end of the chapter, you have had a decent, though not thorough, introduction to that particular tool. The style is more explanatory, and this should be fine for beginners and intermediates alike.
By the end of the book, you have touched upon all the major tools used in Photoshop and it's really up to you to take it from there.
A note about the explanatory nature of the book:
What I thought the book lacked was a means of building up the reader's photoshop skills so that they are ready and able to come to their own solutions using the skills and techniques covered in each chapter.Read more ›
1) It is organized by chapters, going from the basics to more advanced topics. I found that structure easy to follow and easy to learn from.
2) Lots of illustration and screen shots -- that helped, too. Photoshop is not an easy software to use, and screen shots, especially in early chapters made it much more manageable and enjoyable to use.
3) I liked the link to download many of the images used in the book to use for practice. Keep in mind that these images are copyrighted and low-resolution, but their intent is to help you learn the software, not use them for any other purpose. And for that purpose, they work just fine.
4) Now that I've gone through the lessons, I use it as a reference/refresher -- and that's excellent, too. Everything is clearly indexed and easy to find.
I cannot comment on how it compares to CS5 book or how much detail other people might need about the new CS6 features because I don't have the CS5 book. But this one is perfect for me, a beginner who had never used Photoshop before now.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Book was as expected.
Packaging rather poor - edge of book damaged, and pages bent.
I have found all books relating to learning CS6 or Photoshopping in general quite complex, there is a lot of content in the program to be learned, but the book covers all of this... Read morePublished 13 months ago by Mr J Mackenzie
A good book to teach in a classroom. Clear process. Very satisfied.Published 14 months ago by Carlos Alves
Got this book having seen and read a friends copy.
Easy to follow, as I struggle reading and taking in information from the computer. Read more
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Computing & Internet > Digital Photography > Digital Photography Software
- Books > Computing & Internet > Software & Graphics > Business & Home Office
- Books > Computing & Internet > Software & Graphics > Graphics & Multimedia > 3-D Graphics > 3D Studio Max
- Books > Computing & Internet > Software & Graphics > Graphics & Multimedia > 3-D Graphics > Maya
- Books > Computing & Internet > Software & Graphics > Graphics & Multimedia > Image Manipulation & Creation