Shop now Shop now Shop now See more Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-20 of 20 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 15 May 2011 13:27:06 BDT
Last edited by the author on 15 May 2011 13:46:55 BDT
Shaun H. says:
When you get the Transformer, you might find that the supplied USB <-> proprietory connector lead is a little bit too short for some things, for example browsing whilst charging up the unit. I had some decent USB extension leads already so I thought I would use one of them. But I tried three different USB extension leads all which refused to charge up the unit, when connected to the supplied power supply. Browsing around the Web on some forum (I cannot currently remember which), I learned about this:

CPO 2M USB 3.0 Extension Cable, Male to Female - Black and Blue

I bought one, and can verify that it works perfectly, allowing a significantly longer charging lead from the supplied Asus PSU, to the Asus tablet. I guess it must be something to do with USB 3 specfications as all my USB 2 extension leads won't allow charging for some odd reason.

I hope others find this information useful.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 May 2011 14:12:41 BDT
Gefrin says:
Hi this is very useful, and not just to me. Thanks!

Posted on 15 May 2011 14:27:11 BDT
Last edited by the author on 15 May 2011 14:33:25 BDT
Gefrin says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on 15 May 2011 18:04:57 BDT
Last edited by the author on 15 May 2011 18:07:05 BDT
Highwayman says:
Hi Mr Hollingsworth,

The eee blurb says it cannot be charged from the USB so this is good news. It also says the plug at the eee end is proprietry. Can your new blue cable be used to charge other micro USB devices that you know of?
EDIT: Oh, I have just looked more closely at the blue cable. It is a USB extension cable. My apologies......

It is a real shame Asus didn't go for a standard usb power option though....

(I expect I will be buying one though!).

In reply to an earlier post on 16 May 2011 06:44:08 BDT
Gefrin says:
if it says the plug at the eee end is prop then usb may damage it! I'm probably wrong...but better to be safe than sorry.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 May 2011 11:26:49 BDT
Last edited by the author on 16 May 2011 11:28:53 BDT
Shaun H. says:
The supplied lead is a prop "dock" socket connector at one end (similar to iPhone connector) for the ASUS end, to standard USB connector, and the USB end plugs into a USB socket on the mains power supply. This lead is short (about 1meter) so is often inconvenient if you want to use your machine whilst charging. Standard USB extension leads can be plugged into the ASUS mains power supply and the supplied ASUS lead plugged into the extension lead. However this prevents the charger from working. Using the USB3 extension lead mentioned above, however does work and allows normal charging.

The device will also charge up from a computer but only when asleep or in standby. The problem here is simply that the computers standard USB ports simply cannot supply enough power to run the device with the large screen area illuminated.

Posted on 18 May 2011 11:43:24 BDT
Highwayman says:
"The problem here is simply that the computers standard USB ports simply cannot supply enough power to run the device with the large screen area illuminated. "

Ok, That's interesting but are you saying you can plug in to the micro usb point on the eee and charge from a power point if the eee is switched off?

I thought it couldn't. The reason I am banging on about it is because I hate having loads of different wires (and plug types) and chargers and am getting used to being able to charge up multiple devices from the same charger and cable (mobile phone, kindle for instance).

Posted on 18 May 2011 14:04:07 BDT
Shaun H. says:
According to the manual it should charge from a computer when the thing is asleep or the screen is turned off. I have yet to test this.

Posted on 18 May 2011 17:23:51 BDT
R. Niel says:
It does charge from USB (using the proprietary cable) just very very slowly compared to the Asus charger.

Robert

Posted on 18 May 2011 18:56:11 BDT
Last edited by the author on 12 Mar 2012 19:05:29 GMT
UKTechguy says:
It should also be noted that the Asus TF101 power supply has 12Volts on additional pins in the enhanced USB connector that facilitates the high speed charging. Using a PC or USB mains charger adaptor is very slow and only works in sleep/standby. A number of people have had problems with the supplied mains adaptor/charger and it seems that there are no spares/replacements available from Asus or dealers as at May 2011.

In reply to an earlier post on 18 May 2011 19:57:46 BDT
Last edited by the author on 18 May 2011 20:03:40 BDT
Shaun H. says:
yes I found that out when I lost the end of the plug due to the lower retaining tab being broken slightly. Fortunately someone found it. See the other post I made. It's quite annoying really. The device and keyboard are brilliant but the rest of it completely sucks. Contrast that when I bought my iPhone 3GS and thought the screen was a bit on the green side (as some of them actually were) and I took it to the Apple shop... It seems ok to me sir, the lady said, but we're happy to change it, if you don't think so. Exchange 3GS with good grey scale, and one very happy customer. Roll on nearly a year and a crack appears in the case back. Immediate replacement. No accusations of misuse like I got from my ASUS retailer.. Until they saw they had the same problem themselves with the one on their display model.

Posted on 26 May 2011 11:44:40 BDT
just got this cable and it works... shame it was not a 2 metre lead to begin with and saved the hassle... but apple no better same problem with there supplied leads... thanks...

Posted on 27 May 2011 09:48:14 BDT
hadies says:
Is this model of tablet pc have the capability to be used as a mobile phone. With headphones including microphone, or handsfree kit, if included in box, as you would look a bit of an idiot walking down the street having that plonked up toward your face.
My reason is that I would like to combine phone, tablet, and my laptop into one entity instead of juggling electronics and wires all over like a spaghetti junction. But have enough resolution, spec etc and also rated for reliability plus living up to its name.

Posted on 31 May 2011 15:18:05 BDT
Last edited by the author on 31 May 2011 15:21:16 BDT
R. Niel says:
@hadies, no mobile phone capability although you could use it as a VOIP device using a service such as Skype. You might want to check out a new product Asus has just announced called the Padfone (yes I know, silly name in my opinion). There is no pricing or availability as yet (likely the end of the year). But it's essentially a smartphone that docks with a capacitive touchscreen to form a tablet. All the 'brains' are in the phone part, the tablet unit is essentially the screen and like the keyboard dock on the transformer also contains a battery to charge the phone. There's no built in keyboard unlike the transformer with the dock but it does have bluetooth, so if necessary you could connect a wireless keyboard. It will most likely be running the unified tablet/smartphone version of Android named Ice Cream Sandwich (- the version following the current Honeycomb OS).

Robert

Posted on 7 Jun 2011 22:16:27 BDT
Mickco99 says:
As I understand it the reason why the above "2M USB 3.0 Extension Cable" works and not the others more normal USB 2.0 ones, is Asus uses the additional USB 3.0 pins to control charging.

If you are not sure about which USB version you have got, just check/look inside the end part(plug) and it should be coloured BLUE for USB 3.0.

Hope this will help some of you who has already got lots of USB leads to check.

Posted on 8 Jul 2011 12:16:12 BDT
A. J. Zacks says:
Hey all,
I purchased this cable for my tf101 and it doesnt work.
I plug the extension cable to the ac charger and the stock cable in the other end and then to the tab and..... nothing.
What could i be doing wrong? I would point out that although i order cable from this link when it came it was black.

Thanks,

A.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Jul 2011 16:43:00 BDT
Last edited by the author on 8 Jul 2011 17:15:32 BDT
Shaun H. says:
Hi, The lead I got sent was also black but it works great.

Check that the plastic tab inside the connector is blue. Also you should be able to see some extra connections, further down, compared to a standard USB connector.

I am at work now so I can't describe the lead exactly as it is not here, but it certainly has more contacts than a standard USB lead, almost hidden part way down.

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Jul 2011 11:04:27 BDT
Cuius says:
The revised manual (version E6640 which also includes the TF101G) notes "The Eee Pad cannot be charged via USB when it is connected
to the mobile docking.", i.e., only the docking battery is charged.

Posted on 21 Nov 2012 11:33:22 GMT
JLPicard says:
Thanks for this - just ordered one....

Posted on 10 Dec 2012 09:49:33 GMT
HH says:
I am concerned. I have USB normal
ext cable. If I try it to charge my
I phone from PC it should be OK.
No high voltage. If I try it the way
I would like to use it as a mains ext
to my original phone charger it might
blow the phone.
Anyone dare try it?
Thanks for any suggestions,
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  12
Total posts:  20
Initial post:  15 May 2011
Latest post:  10 Dec 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions