Learn more Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Shop now Fitbit

I am confused about the ending to The Quincunx

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 1 Jul 2007, 14:41:30 BST
Hi, I just wonder if someone could tell me definitively what happens at the end of the book. I've read it twice now, the second time very carefully but I'm still not sure what the end is. I thought I knew who John Huffham's father was but when I got to the end I was unsure. It's a long time since I read it and I've forgotten all the intrigues (I'll have to read it again) but I know I felt very dissatisfied so when I saw this customer discussion thing I thought I may as well ask other people what they thought. Please can someone put my mind at rest?

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Jul 2008, 23:10:58 BST
Well... at any rate it wasn't Peter Clothier.... at least I think it wasn't...

Sorry, just as confused as you!

Got it! It was Darth Vader!!

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Jul 2008, 16:12:31 BST
Gallivant says:
Or ... the father was Martin. That is possible. Or maybe even Mary's own father.

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Sep 2008, 10:53:30 BST
Last edited by the author on 25 Sep 2008, 10:55:42 BST
bookwarm says:
I agree with Gallivant but since John's likeness to his grandfather was commented on several times i think it has to be Mary's father.I read this the only way i think it can be done. In 4 days just breaking for meals and sleep! Just about the best book I've read- where next?

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Jan 2009, 15:58:54 GMT
thankyou to the previous posts .you have solved it for me,or have you?I thought it must be Martin or Mary's fatherbut was not sure.I encouraged my husband to read the book and he said it was Peter Clothier,I was still unsure.But now I know it was probably Mary's father or maybe Martin.Is Charles Palliser still aalive?perhaps we could ask him?

Posted on 4 May 2012, 09:28:26 BST
private says:
The UK Penguin edition has an afterword by the author where he talks about the ambiguities and the undercurrents in the book, as well as the ending and why it is unclear - it apparently all Victorian novel style. Haven't read the book yet, not sure I should start.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  6
Total posts:  6
Initial post:  1 Jul 2007
Latest post:  4 May 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

This discussion is about
The Quincunx: The Inheritance of John Huffam
The Quincunx: The Inheritance of John Huffam by Charles Palliser (Paperback - 29 Jun. 1995)
4.2 out of 5 stars (64)