Shop now Shop now</arg> Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Shop now Shop now
Customer Discussions > The Lord of the Rings forum

choices for lord of the rings and hobbit in hardback

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 20 Jan 2012 15:55:17 GMT
James Lloyd says:
out of all the hardback lord of the rings available on amazon which is the best quality for illustration contents?
looking at 50th anniversary edition but reviews say apart from pullouts theres not much illustration on the pages.

cost isnt the issue im just after the perfect version of lord of the rings in hardback and hobbit to if known.

thankyou

Posted on 14 Feb 2012 20:31:01 GMT
S. J. M says:
I own the 50th ani hardback, I admit that I wasnt too fussed about having the illustrations in it. My brother has such a copy, the '91 Allen Lee illustrated copy The Lord of the Rings - illustrated hardback which he got 2nd hand and its a might tome indeed! Its taller and wider in size the the 50th ani, and obviously heavier. Its each to his own ofcourse, if you want pictures with the text then its certainly worth looking for, its size makes the pictures look really grand! Comparing both books, the 50th has thinner pages and smaller text (but is a smaller copy) whilst the other has thicker pages and bolder text. It does have quite a thin glossy dust jacket to the thick one on the 50th. A friend of mine has The Lord of the Rings (3 Book Box set) but personally, I wouldnt buy them as its paperback and small in size even compared to the 50th hardback which im confident is going to last me for many happy readings.

As for the Hobbit, Ive got the 70th ani Hardback and its great, more paperback in size and with the illustrations obviously fitted onto the pages. It does, I believe, have the hardcover has the cover (in form of dust jacket) that JRRT had wanted for its 1st publication but didnt get for colour issues (possibly costs...) Again, my brother has the same edition but as Paperback, and its much the same just cheaper.

You havent mentioned it, but Ill say it anyway, Ive got the illustrated Silmarillion The Silmarillion which is a lot slimmer then LOTRs 50th, but has the illustrations in it, and whilst im yet to read it, it looks fantastic, thick pages on a sturdy binding and excellent pictures. I cant speak for other copies around, but it was the one that I was attracted too.

Hope this helps in some way.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  2
Total posts:  2
Initial post:  20 Jan 2012
Latest post:  14 Feb 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

This discussion is about