Shop now Shop now Shop now See more Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now
Customer Discussions > Final Fantasy XII (PS2) forum

better than 10?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-16 of 16 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 13 Jul 2007 15:44:46 BDT
personally i think not

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Jul 2007 23:30:50 BDT
G-ZAY says:
Much Better than FFX in terms of gameplay and exploration.

FFXII is the best Final Fantasy since FFVII gameplay wise.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Aug 2007 15:30:14 BDT
Last edited by the author on 2 Aug 2007 15:32:35 BDT
*Spoilers if you havent finished 10*

The story in 10 was much better, I prefer to get to know just a couple of the characters in great detail (ala all the earlier FFs!) than have no main character like 12 did. The music and emotional impact was much stronger in 10, I mean finding out you're a dream, you're about to fight your dad, your close friend is already dead... compared to a rehash of FF6 (espers, empire) and FF9 (kingdoms at war, main player a theif, princess running away from kingdom..!) that 12 offered... pah!

However, the in game graphics, FMVs, battle system and side quests were better in 12. If 10 had a slightly less linear structure like the branching maps of 12 and much more sidequests, then it would have been better than the mighty FF7...but sadly not quite. Overall, 10 is better than 12 but not quite as good as 7 or 8.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Aug 2007 21:40:11 BDT
PigletsPress says:
i agree, 10 is a fab game, probaly because it was such a huge move on from 9 (which i loved) going from ps1 to ps2, but 12 although a good game in its own right did not live up to its hype. i though the ending was really poor, perhaps i just spent too much time levelling up and exploring and made it too easy for myself ! 7 was very good and i actually haven't finished 8 yet (playing it now), no-one seems to mention x-2 much, another game i thought was great. lets hope 13 on the ps3 lives up to expectations.

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Dec 2007 17:30:41 GMT
Final fantasy X and X-2 are wonderful games in terms of characterisation and story, very detailed, the ending of X was kinda moving also. I think XII is a mighty remarkable game in terms of size, an incredible amount of exploration and no random battles, and all the better for it. BUT the story seems quite thin and characters have no real substance which is what the FF series has always been good at. Lets hope XIII has the gameplay and scope of XII mixed with say the story and characters of X et al. XII is certainly a 9 out of 10 for style/ 5 out of 10 for substance.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Dec 2007 04:27:57 GMT
Last edited by the author on 23 Dec 2007 04:29:11 GMT
R. A. Pierce says:
OK... are we including x-2 in this, because lets face it that was abit of an embarressment.

I think 10 is better because of the battle system and slightly less camp main character. Whats with Vaan's sexuality and shiney nose???

Bring back the days of 7 and 8!

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Dec 2007 10:25:51 GMT
H. Pearce says:
to be honest I think it comes down to individual preference, as the two are hard to compare, the storyline for example in FFX was pretty poor if you ask me, very stupid towards the end, whereas the story in FFXII is non-existant towards the end of the game.

I personally would rather play FFXII as there is loads more to explore and do after completing the game, the sub quests to collect all the espers and marks etc.. will take ages, such replay value just wasnt there with FFX.

FFXII is a much more interative and involving experience in terms of gameplay, at the cost of having no great storyline, but for me still pips FFX (which I quite like).

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Dec 2007 13:03:14 GMT
M. Bull says:
Well, Final fantasy 12 is the most open and free form final fantasy game ever made
however at the cost of having so much freedom, you quite literally have a piss poor story

final fantasy 10 is more story driven in my opinion

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Jan 2008 21:56:56 GMT
I must admit ive been a bit harsh about 12 reading my last post. I agree that its down to personal preference deciding which is best, 12 or 10, if i am honest i love them all for slightly different reasons. And 12 is really growing on me. Its vast and varied, the story ain't so bad, its just pointing in a different direction than VII to X, and X-2 is a strange choice for a FF, but i can see they were trying to add to X but not so well. I would take XII over X-2 most days.
I'm still hoping XIII returns to that old style of story with deep character relationships, i will stand by that!
Square have my thanks for many many hours sat with my PS2 involved in the FF world.

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Feb 2008 11:50:19 GMT
Joe says:
FFX happens to be my favourite Final Fantasy game so IMO XII isn't better. I've ben harsh on XII before myself but I've come to realise what a great game it is, it's my fourth fave now (behind VII, VI and X). The story was different and I enjoyed it until the end of the Pharos, what happened then was just stupid. The gameplay was quite good but I was there were a few more Gambits (like in the Zodiac Job Version) but then again the player can always intervine. I do think that battles are a bit more boring in XII, especially there's no music change for the battles and a lot of area music (*cough* Cerobii *cough* Nabreus *cough*) like Kingdom Hearts or X-men Legends. I though the voice acting wasn't utilised much outside of cutscenes like X and X-2 and I HATE the random treasure system. The idea of having lots of screens for one area gets on my nerves if it's an open field (*cough* Cerobii *cough* Nabreus *cough*) but works well for dungeons. X was better with open areas but I felt dungeons were too short. XII does have a point thought with Rare Game and Marks which I thought was genius but I think some (*cough*) areas had one too many screens.

I realise I've just written an entire review.

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Mar 2008 23:21:42 GMT
Yeah right, i'm on my second time through and i'm loving it a lot! My faves before this were X, IX, VII, and III; havn't played VI yet! The random treasure thing makes it seem very generic. I think I might import the zodiac job version and take a look. The idea of speciallising will make it a more skilled game no doubt. Still the game is huge and a lot of nice changes i look forward to seeing them evolve for XIII.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Apr 2008 23:02:06 BDT
M. Bull says:
Gotta love the way *Spoiler* has no idea who you are until you first meet him at the end, it makes the whole journey just pointless, but funny, I loled.

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Sep 2008 17:37:24 BDT
K. Gibson says:
This is a dumb question since 10 was a major drop in the standard of final fantasies. 12 is a better game but 10s' a better final fantasy (does that make sense???) and 4 through 9 are much better than 10 or 12 in my opinion.

Posted on 20 Apr 2009 09:03:32 BDT
ffx is ten times better than 12. the active battle system was a joke and i couldnt care less about the characters.Auron and Yuna are amazing characters,yet to be topped im afraid.

Posted on 16 May 2009 22:49:39 BDT
Bruno Santos says:
FFX was a great RPG game... FF XII is an Ok mmorpg in offline mode. Enough Said.

I am however tickled if there's any Fan of the FF series that really liked FF XII? the only persons that seem to like it , are the peeps that started to play FF about 3-4 years ago. (new fans)

Posted on 1 Jun 2009 04:16:36 BDT
The thing with 12 was that it gave no emotional attatchment to the characters.
They could've died and I wouldn't have cared in all honesty, whereas with the likes of FF7 or 10 if a main character died I would be very saddened by it.

My favourite game is 7 but the best character in all of final fantasy in my opinion is Auron from FFX.
He was just too cool.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  13
Total posts:  16
Initial post:  13 Jul 2007
Latest post:  1 Jun 2009

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Final Fantasy XII (PS2)
Final Fantasy XII (PS2) by Square Enix (PlayStation2)
4.1 out of 5 stars (185)