Shop now Shop now Shop now See more Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop now Shop now

amazon's preferred sellers are ripping us off

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 30 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 12 Dec 2008 21:36:09 GMT
Su says:
Has anyone noticed that the majority of amazons so-called preferred sellers are ripping off us amazon customers.

It's not just here in games, but in dvds and books as well.

Amazon is going to get a bad reputation

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Dec 2008 14:02:02 GMT
Sinead says:
They're already starting to. They were on Watchdog the other night.

The problem is some people who shop on here won't realise that the main price listed is the 'preferred sellers' and will think it's the RRP and Amazon's price. So they buy it and get ripped off. I think Amazon should just say 'Out of Stock' and then have a link to all other sellers like they used to. They shouldn't support certain sellers over others, especially when the ones they support tend to be the ones that rip everyone off (ie. they're currently selling this game for £90 when the RRP is £25-30!).

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Dec 2008 11:00:12 GMT
Su says:
I agree, they should go back to the original way.

I only noticed that the dvd I had selected was a "preferred seller" when I saw the manditory postage charge, and the sellers name when it was in my "shopping basket".

Another problem is that once you have selected a "preferred seller" and you search for similar items the system assumes that you want to buy from them again. I don't - especially after the experience I had with preferred seller 'mari 1970'.

Amazon should give us the choice.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Dec 2008 08:09:58 GMT
Elizabeth says:
Yes, its ridiculous and you're right Amazon is going to get a bad name. I've only just started to use Amazon over the past two months and spent around £700 on here. I've told others about it and said they should use it for their Xmas shopping etc as its much cheaper than most but this is simply outrageous. I'll be telling people now how much they rip people off. I've spent hours online looking for this game and amazon is by far the most expensive. I hope watchdog expose them good and proper. I won't be using them to shop anymore as I simply don't trust them or their prices.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Dec 2008 15:54:43 GMT
BattyBoi says:
If its one thing ive learned about internet companies (having got one) and marketing, its that reputation can be won and lost within days!
Amazon, up till now, have a great reputation, but now that they are doing these links, 'buy from this seller or that seller' they are seriously in trouble of losing their hard earned repuatation.
I work in marketing and advertising and if i was the marketing bod in charge of this company then id be telling the board to ditch the 'other sellers' options ASAP.
are you listening Mr. Marketing Man??? seriously, what you think you are gaining from a percentage of sale through advertising other peoples stock, you will quickly lose millions in comparison when people leave Amazon in droves. and it wont be a slow thing, its starting now. its that quick online.

dont turn a blind eye and a deaf ear to this Amazon, its going to ruin you if you let it. for every person who gets burned by this, they tell 10 people. they in turn 10 people...and so on..before you know it, youre going the way of Woolworths.

learn the lessons Amazon!!

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Dec 2008 19:27:20 GMT
kaycee says:
I complained by email to Amazon on this very point. When I got a bland reply I clicked on the option to say my question wasn't answered and requested they ring immediately. Which they did. I spoke to a very unhelpful operator and told him almost verbatim the above. He kept saying that they changed the website 5 months ago and this was the first time he had heard a complaint. He also repeatedly said that 99% of Amazon customers were happy with the 'new' way. I suggested he pointed out to his superiors the forums on their own site which showed that there was not 99% satisfaction and he fobbed me off asking if there was anything else I needed to say. I wishes him a Merry Christmas

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Dec 2008 18:31:00 GMT
Su says:
I spoke to customer services yesterday and got the same response as above BUT with one difference - the operator said (in a very irritated tone) that she was sick and tired of people complaining about the new preferred seller system and if I didn't like it I should go somewhere else.

Great customer service amazon (oops sorry that should have had a sarcasm warning).

Even at it's new amazon supplied price it's still more expensive than my local tescos

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Dec 2008 08:03:06 GMT
K. Anneli says:
Some are more expensive, some are not --I just bought Dragon Quest IV for the DS for 9 pounds from a marketplace seller, and it is a whole lot less than from any store I've seen. Some marketplace sellers do have great deals, so I'm glad having that option. Note the word OPTION. Nobody is forcing to to buy anything from them.

I don't see what good complaining will do to you. If you don't like the prices, just shop somewhere else. I always compare prices from different shops.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Jan 2009 14:40:48 GMT
Su says:
I buy from marketplace sellers a lot and have had only a few problems.

The point is that amazon are trying to take the choice away from us by attempting to make us buy from their "preferred sellers" who to be honest have over Christmas shown themselves in their true colours - items not received, nasty and abusive messages in reply to requests for information about the sending date for items which haven't been received (including one comment of "We are amazons perferred seller so there is **** all you can do about it", and of course the cause of the conversation - over charging.

If we don't complain about these so called preferred sellers then we may as well just give up on all our consumer rights - one of which is the right to choose in an open and fair market.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Jan 2009 22:05:13 GMT
Small Fry says:
Are you all so naive to think that a BUSINESS like Amazon runs a website like this for the good of its health?

This whole website is geared up to selling you goods at a profit, weather it be by Amazon (who aren't necessarily so cheap themselves) or their preferred sellers.

Most of the preferred sellers are also running ebay shops, its all just a question of which website you ask them to send your goods from....

When you've finished your tantrums, consider this Amazon supply most items generally below high street prices, and they can usually deliver overnight if needed.

If it really upsets your sensibilities, then shop elsewhere

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Jan 2009 21:29:51 GMT
Su says:
We are not naive as you so insultingly called us. We understand that this is a business, but when a company tries to force you into buying from people without offering the choice.

At least you have the option of whether or not to buy from these sellers that you mention off ebay, amazon seem to be trying to take that option away from us the customer.

If all you did was comment in order to insult people then I would think again - we are trying to stand up for consumer rights in the best way we can - it's a shame that you can't see that

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Jan 2009 11:34:18 GMT
tallpete33 says:
In my opinion, it works ok if you keep your wits about you. Games such as Layton were in short supply before xmas so supply and demand sent the price up on here, play.com and good old ebay etc. It will be twenty quid by the end of January.
It is reasonably clear when you shop that you aren't buying direct from amazon and now the marketplace sellers have their postage displayed clearly too but yes some of the so-called preferred sellers do try it on.
Vote with your feet (ok, mouse) and shop elsewhere if so; I rarely buy indirectly through amazon.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Jan 2009 22:53:44 GMT
I have spotted it myself over Christmas with lego items costing more than double than lego selling it from their own official lego shop ! shop around.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Jan 2009 21:59:30 GMT
[Deleted by Amazon on 20 Jan 2009 10:58:07 GMT]

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Jan 2009 09:14:32 GMT
K. Anneli says:
You do know you are talking about piracy, right? And that it's illegal? And wrong?

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Jan 2009 14:31:45 GMT
Su says:
And pirated products very rarely work properly.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Jan 2009 20:45:58 GMT
Last edited by the author on 14 Jan 2009 20:59:32 GMT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Jan 2009 20:58:28 GMT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Jan 2009 23:28:28 GMT
i used amazon last year for my christmas presents and it was much cheaper, i only used amazon not the "prefered sellers" im looking to get my mum a DS lite game and its on here at £59.99. Think ill pop down the shops as its £39.99........Shopping online is better than having to fight out in the wind and rain but £20 is beter in my pocket than theres and im sure ill manage to dry myself off when i get in.

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Jan 2009 00:12:55 GMT
Su says:
Statistically speaking cheesesliceking most pirated products don't work properly due to the security programmes within the software that is being copied. And since you ask I have been conned into purchasing fake products from internet sellers only to have family members disappointed by the results.

Maybe I'm not as experienced in deliberately purchasing pirated good as you are but I don't assume, lie or manipulate. I was simply stating a fact as I know it.

I take it that you are a friend of lilith's lantern or enchanted or whatever she's calling herself today.

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Jan 2009 12:34:34 GMT
K. Anneli says:
Let's not feed trolls, please.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Feb 2009 14:19:51 GMT
Last edited by the author on 8 Feb 2009 14:26:17 GMT
The reply from M.P.Cochran almost sounds like the receptionest Responce on 2 of the letter above. Does he or she work for amazon it sound like it to me. and yes bring back the old system "OUT OF STOCK" no confussion there. I have shopped with amazon for years (and I am not Naiev ) and have been very happy with the company but will think twice in future. So Take note Amazon this is not doing you any good at all. I am in bussiness myself and as such know bad words will spread quicker than good ones.
FOOTNOTE: Just discovered he is a prefered seller it seems.

Posted on 11 Feb 2009 00:47:25 GMT
Last edited by the author on 11 Feb 2009 21:31:28 GMT
Su says:
Thank you Mr Hoy - that really does explain a lot, especially his attitude

Posted on 5 Mar 2009 18:41:15 GMT
ive only been using amazon for a while i didnt even realise it had changed. bt atleast now that explains why my sons birthday presents were alot more expensive and took alot longer to deliver i ordered it all at the start of feb my sons bday was 2nd of march and although most of the presents turned up on time 2 was missing 1 turned up today (5/3/09) still waiting on 1 some birthday

Posted on 11 Mar 2009 12:36:41 GMT
G. Thomas says:
I think the fact pirated games are (still) openly on sale in Amazon marketplace is far more of a concern than the preferred sellers issue.
I understand "burden of proof" and all that malarky but if many of those "in stock NOW, unboxed, no instructions, cartridge in protective case" marketplace sales aren't distinctly dodgy then my life experience so far must add up to nought.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  20
Total posts:  30
Initial post:  12 Dec 2008
Latest post:  20 Aug 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about