Learn more Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Shop now Fitbit

Is this actually worth buying at the current price of £44.97?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-17 of 17 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 29 Nov 2010, 14:19:13 GMT
Qunk says:
Hi all,
I want to get this for my dad as he is a big sci-fi fan but has never seen this but i'm not someone that wants to buy something that 'will do' and vaguely tell the story when I can have everything (we like to immerse ourselves in series and it would bug me to not see it all). So my question is, If I were to buy this would it be worth it for it's current price - or would i have to buy/watch extras on top? thanks in advance for the advice

Posted on 29 Nov 2010, 23:30:06 GMT
Last edited by the author on 29 Nov 2010, 23:35:05 GMT
Dennis says:
If I understand it correctly there is one extra movie which were produced after the series were finished. This movie called "the plan" is NOT included in this boxset. BUT, even though it's a nice touch to the series and I really liked it, it's not essential to the story nor the conclusion of the series (it's supposed to clarify some of the "villain's" motives/feelings/conclusions through the later part of the series.

Sure you miss out on this "extra" view of some keypoints in the series BUT at this price I would recommend ANYONE to buy it/give it a try. You surely could by the movie separate later on. it's not THAT expensive :-P I myself acclaim this to be the BEST SciFi series out there. MUCH better than Stargate SG1 (and it's "siblings"), Fringe, Doctor Who, X-Files, LOST, Flash Forward, The Event etc. Mainly because most of the series always keep the red line visible through almost every episode. And even though the series had it's low point somewhere around season 3 I still find myself entertained/drawn inside the whole universe because of it's brilliant blend of drama, and action in it's themes of moral decisions, religion, human extinction and many other themes.

I myself just ordered the Bluray edition and plan to buy the last piece(movie) separate.. these box sets are so CHEAP so I surely can afford it!!

ps. I wish I could erase my memory and watch it all over again.. oh sigh.. at least I will be able to re-live the story :-) Hope you buy it so you and your dad can enjoy many hours in front of the tv :-D

Posted on 30 Nov 2010, 04:14:10 GMT
if you're buying for the the box set itself, don't bother, i just saw the pics, and its no different from my current box set i have with s1-3 mini series included, i desperately want season 4 but not split in two that's ridiculous, so over a year now and i still havent rewatched s4, but i sure cried a bucket the night the last episode aired,and the rerun too...i'm holding out for the limited box set with the toaster figure in it, at the very least i ought to get a frakking toaster for my dedication to this show! lol...but so far it is way too expensive!

Posted on 9 Jan 2011, 23:31:58 GMT
I do like that lovely shiny toaster myself, but would much rather the Blu-ray set. My friend got it for Christmas and he has lent me the first couple of seasons...it looks divine. Very detailed, but with a layer of grain and other such post-production digital trickery...to make it look gritty and unique. It suits the mood of the show perfectly. Now I have seen it in HD, I could never go back to my downloads and off-air recordings...or even the DVD's. So the Blu-ray set it is.

Hopefully I can get a build your own toaster set in the future so I won't feel left out. :)

Posted on 12 Jan 2012, 03:17:25 GMT
Tman says:
Hi,

I ordered one too and it came with NO SHRINKWRAPPING??!!!! Is this normal for this set? Shoudn't it be sealed?

How did your's arrive?

Thx

Posted on 20 Jan 2012, 21:30:58 GMT
Mine arrived with "SHRINKWRAPPING??!!!" in place.

If your box has no faults and the discs are OK, what's the issue? Think of it as less plastic ending up in landfill sites.

Posted on 24 Jan 2012, 08:58:42 GMT
Definitely worth it! In my opinion it's the best sci-fi show of the last decade, and one of the best of all time.

I just wish it was still at £44.99 as I want to purchase the set. ;)

Posted on 24 Jan 2012, 15:17:37 GMT
Dennis says:
If you can wait until Christmas it's usually reduced in price around that time. Been so for the last two Christmas at least ;)

And yeah, the show is AMAZING! Got the box set a year ago and never regreted it!

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Jan 2012, 16:42:21 GMT
Knowing me, I'll probably cave and purchase it way before Christmas. Even at the current price it's quite a bargain.

Posted on 24 Jan 2012, 17:44:52 GMT
I got it a few weeks ago at £49.99 and I thought I had a bargain... but LOL, £44.99? Well if the OP spent time asking if a box set of Blu-rays of a popular sci-fi series containing a mini-series, four seasons and a TV movie, as well as hours and hours of extras, in the most sensible Blu-ray box set packing I've yet come across, instead of stuffing it in his basket and clicking on 'checkout' as fast as his fingers could move, then I have to wonder. When you see that kind of price for this kind of product, you just buy the damn thing. It has risen to £90 now. It was £66 for a while... but prices like £45 and £50 don't hang around.

To answer his question... it contains everything other than 'The Plan', a cynical cash-in widely derided and ignored by fans. So yes, in that respect the box does contain the whole story. At least all you need to see. If you want to be completist you can pick up The Plan blu-ray for £8 or so. It may make a good frisbee.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Jan 2012, 18:01:16 GMT
Last edited by the author on 24 Jan 2012, 18:03:10 GMT
ladyevenstar22 says:
"if you're buying for the the box set itself, don't bother, i just saw the pics, and its no different from my current box set i have with s1-3 mini series included, i desperately want season 4 but not split in two that's ridiculous"

What on earth are you gibbering on about? Has it crossed your mind that the OP didn't own series 1-3 and the mini-series? This was £44.99 for the ENTIRE SERIES ON BLU-RAY when they posted this question and you're telling him not to bother as season 4 comes in two boxes? What the HELL does that matter? Some people... I don't know whether to laugh or cry. And you admit to denying yourself the pleasure of watching season 4 as you don't want to receive it in two boxes, despite the fact that both combined would now cost you less than the first part on release? And despite the fact the splitting of the final season only came about because of the very noble and worthwhile writers strike anyway?

Some people seem to want to make miserable situations for themselves, if you ask me.

Posted on 24 Jan 2012, 19:19:09 GMT
Apparently, it doesn't contain the 'Face of the Enemy' webisodes either, but they don't seem to be available in any region's box set.

Posted on 25 Jan 2012, 02:54:24 GMT
Just a heads up for those wanting it to drop a bit, price back to £66.99 again (was £90 yesterday). If you're not desperate though, leave it a while and it might go back to £50. I guess it's a gamble.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Dec 2012, 14:04:19 GMT
yes yes yes! as previously said, only thing missing is the plan, which is an "extra" to the story anyway, but for £8 on blu ray, definately worth it. One of the best sci fi series ever made...great picture and sound...ignore anyone saying that the picture is no better than the dvd...utter rubbish! they must have a duff tv...it can get a little confusing with the flash backs, but you get used to this very quickly, and it helps with a few of the trickier plot twists...if it were a uk 6 episode series, then it would be overkill...but by the time you are a few episodes in, it's usefull.

Posted on 10 Dec 2012, 02:12:57 GMT
£33.74 today only using code BIGBOX25!!

Posted on 14 Dec 2012, 18:56:48 GMT
S. heale says:
you can buy the plan from the states cheaper-i only paid £4 for it and its region free

Posted on 17 Dec 2012, 06:42:27 GMT
L. V. Moon says:
£35! Bought, lovely HD bargain of lushy Colonial Toastiness.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  10
Total posts:  17
Initial post:  29 Nov 2010
Latest post:  17 Dec 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

This discussion is about