Format: DVD|Change

Apparently, there are over a dozen films with the title "zombie apocalypse...". I'll bet this is the worst of the lot and if it's not then I consider myself lucky not to have suffered the even greater misfortune of coming across whatever film that one is, because this one is bad enough.

It was so bad, I looked it up online. Three people are credited with the script THREE! Including the director Ryan Thompson, who also did the cinematography, the editing had a hand in the visual effects, edited the music, produced the film and had an acting part (yup, it's on of THOSE films!). Absolutely without a single redeeeming quality. Terrible acting. Ridiculous (non) action scenes. Laughable "special effects". I've seen better "zombie" make up at beauty pageants! No plot. It is not even unintentionally funny. Just bad. In a bad way. Not a good way. A bad way.

As with the other reviewers, I only write this as (to quote MR James) "a warning to the curious".

Avoid, my friends. Learn from my mistake! Woe is me! Avoid!!

There are any number of smarter/funnier low-budget zombie films out there in my view (e.g. Freaks of Nature, I survived A Zombie Holocaust, Scouts Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse, Me and My Mates vs the zombie apocalypse, Deathgasm, Re-kill, Wyrmwood........) which I would recommend instead.
on 2 January 2011
Sometimes you see a movie that is so bad, it's good. e.g. the laughable Lair of the White Worm.
But this is so bad even the cruddy script and acting just makes you wish you'd spent the money on beer or just about anything else really.
Truly bloomin' horrendous, with nothing to redeem it. Buy a kebab instead, and congratulate yourself on having made the wiser buy.
Please, please do not buy this piece of junk. !!!!!!
on 27 June 2010
Not rating this pile of utter rubbish. doesn't deserve any stars. Seriously poor story, effects and the acting is the worst in film history. There isn't even anything worth laughing at. Poor beyond words.
on 11 April 2011
Things don't start well when we see a guy in handcuffs get set upon by a horde of zombies. Although I'm guessing that these zombies have formed an orderly queue as we only see him fight singular opponents, and when I say fight that is really stretching it. He swings a plank, there is a white flash and then we see someone laying on the floor.
Someone that doesn't even look like a zombie, just a guy that fell over with some jam on his face. Then repeat for the next one, and the next one...

If you were thinking of buying this film and this review or the others have stopped you then consider yourselves lucky as this was already a chore to watch before the first 5 minutes were up. The only reason I carried on viewing was for the purpose of this review and the film is so bad that it took me 3 attempts to watch it as it sent me to sleep twice...either that or I slipped into a coma as some kind of weird defense mechanism to spare me the misery.

Don't spend any money on this, in fact only accept it if someone is paying you to take it from them and then keep the cash and bin the DVD. Don't be tempted to get this in the hope that it falls into the 'so bad it's good' category because this is just bad on all levels.

I don't have anything against low-budget films but there is nothing here to warrant giving this any time. No story, no laughs, no gore, no acting...
There are characters that speak in the obligatory gruff hero/villian voice but they sound ridiculous and quite often they are unable to maintain it for the duration of a scene anyway.
Even the zombie actors are some of the worst ever, a good example being the one near the start that survived the heroes plank attack. It staggers about more like a man with chronic piles or possibly someone who has had a poo related accident.

So, avoid this and spare a thought for all us poor souls that watched it so that you don't have to. You have no idea how lucky you are.
on 3 September 2013
The movie opens with a snuff scene that appears it could have come from Sin City. A man in handcuffs is set upon by a group of zombies, which we later find out were produced by the government, unless you read the comic book. Meanwhile Tom and Mark decide they want to go out for a drink, but like a trip to White Castle they get detoured.

There is also Raven, "don't call me Jennifer" who is a punk-goth looking photographer. She joins the group. As fate would have it these 4 end up together. We find out the man in cuffs is some kind of government agent who was supposed to have been killed by the zombie attack. Mark has issues with his former roommate Kevin, who is sleeping with his gf, or ex-gf. Kevin looks like a young Val Kilmer.

The movie has some real bad acting, like the bouncer at the bar who has "SECURITY" on his t-shirt. Fortunately the worse actors get eaten early. There seems to be a serious lack of guns for rural Michigan. There is one scene with some comical Dr. Evil diabolical laughter. The zombies are of the slow moving variety with a lousy make-up job.

The DVD comes with a PREQUEL comic book. It would help if you read the comic book first. 3 1/2 stars.

F-bomb, no sex, no nudity (unless you count the comic book which has topless drawings).
on 12 June 2010
I don't mind a shoddy production, or crappy special effects or even at times bad acting.....But this "movie" is total rubbish! Please please please don't waste your money it. The acting is so amateur that it makes Ed Wood's movies look professional. I approached this in good faith, but from my previous experiences, I should have known not to trust a movie with the word "Zombie" in it. (Zombieland being the exception the rule.) Take The Zombie Diaries, Zombie Strippers, Zombies etc.
The person that wrote the other review on this awful piece of trash must have either "acted" in it or at least had some affiliation with the production, cos there's no way on earth they enjoyed it!!
Luckily for me, I bought it in Fopp and was able to exchange it for Doghouse....
Which, if you take my advice, buy Doghouse instead, that is a much better bet!!
on 10 September 2010
Absolute Rubbish avoid at all costs !
this film should never be watched it should only be used to level uneven table legs
on 28 March 2011
Please save yourself the pain I had to suffer watching this piece of tripe. Awful, just awful! The cover is the best bit!
on 12 December 2012
I have yet to view the movie, hence a neutral 3-stars, but is there a good reason why the cover of this dvd has an image taken directly from the cover of the book Flu, by Wayne Simmons? I was quite disappointed by the book, is there a connection?
Flu