Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Learn more Download now Shop now Shop now

on 12 May 2017
Just what I needed at 51 after running 5 years and struggling with health issues and Menopause and getting slower and slower. It is honest - motivating and directly to the point but never appears to tell you what to do - it's like talking to a friend. Covers every issue I have ever thought of and more in a practical down to earth honest easy to understand way. Why did I not know about this book before ?? I would recommend this book to everyone - young and not so young, new to running or not, needing guidance , a boost or just a dam good read - thank you ladies for being their when I needed you 😍
6 people found this helpful
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 28 June 2017
I bought this to start 2013. I had a 7 week old baby, I hated running at school, physical effort in general. Must have been baby brain.
I read it once, then started going for my first "run". Haha! I walked so much it was shameful. But some of the words kept in my head. and I kept going back to the book (it was aloo bookin my house )I run a race for life that summer. 2 years later a 10k ("feels like a proper race" they say in the book). The year after a half marathon, the toughest in Britain. And again this year and agin this autumn.marathon planned for 2019.
I could never have done it without this book and I come back to it regularly.I really recommend it. There are training plans, advice for beginner, inspiration stories (personally I am just inspired by me, but that just me!)
I wish there was more on breathing though as I felt that as a beginner, it is the hardest thing to master.
Give it a go, you never know where it will take you.
5 people found this helpful
on 22 December 2015
This is a fantastic book for anyone who wants to take up running. It is very motivating and the running plans are broken down so they are manageable. They build up slowly so you never feel like you won't be able to manage it. I am currently following the 5km plan and am really enjoying it. Once I have finished the 5km plan I am going to move onto the 10km plan. This book has really helped me and I would highly recommend it to anyone who wants to take up running.
on 7 November 2014
I was a complete jogging novice before this book and hated running as a result as I was making mistakes I didn't even realize. Until this book that is! Its rammed full of tips and advice to get you started. My first run I managed 500 metres before nearly collapsing (apparently thats perfectly normal!), but with the help of this book, within 4 weeks I'm doing 5km runs each morning no problems at all. I'm losing weight and inches off the belly and gaining confidence by the day. A genuine must have for novice runners who wants to get fit and lose weight.
on 7 April 2012
Bought this for my wife who wanted to get into non-competitive jogging with our 11 year old daughter. She found the book to be clear and easy to read, with some particularly inspirational stories and accounts. The book sets out easy to follow plans that are perfect for readers with no running experience (or ability). The pace of the plans are not too demanding, allowing the runner to gently build up both stamina and confidence.

A perfect buy for anyone wanting to raise fitness levels in a structured and sensible manner.

UPDATE 31st MAY 2012. My daughter has just managed to jog 1.5 miles, uninterrupted. This may not sound much, but prior to starting with this book she could barely run a hundred yards. The book is not miraculous, but it has certainly helped us immensely.
6 people found this helpful
on 28 September 2017
I love this book. It's my third copy as I keep giving my copies away to friends to help them! This book helped me prepare for my first half marathon back in 2009 and I've never looked back. I've used it to train for a full marathon too. It offers alot of food for thought about running, offers some good plans for 5k, 10k, HM and marathon and areas for you to journal your journey. Love it. Highly recommended it for anyone starting out.
on 18 February 2015
I bought the book as a guide to try and improve my running. What I hadn't realised is that this book seems to be aimed at women more so than men and some of the issues discussed are particular to women runners. That said it is a nice guidebook to help get more from your running and if I am ever in the market for a running bra or pants then this may be useful.
on 14 June 2011
I am nearing my mid thirties and decided i need to try and get in some form of SHAPE as keeping slim is not as simple as 10 years ago!! I hate running, i cannot run but its something cheap and burns many calories and i wanted to do it!! I am now up to week 6 in the plan, i have followed the book to the letter, not missing a single session. I still cannot pretend i am ENJOYING doing it, but the book really helps motivate me and i can guarentee i am starting to find it LESS TRAUMATIC!! I would still rather be watching TV with the family, but the feeling i get after following the plan is amazing. I am up to run/walking for 28 minutes and i feel absolutely proud of my acheivements so i am sticking it out until the end. The book covers everything you want to know and even dont want to know.It is easy to follow and i was very unfit to begin with. I havent lost weight yet but certainly feel fitter. This book is truly great and i constantly flick through it time and time again even though i have read it cover to cover! If you are a real beginner to exercise and running, this is the book for you!!!!
One person found this helpful
on 20 March 2017
Love this book I used it to start running from scratch and achieved a 5k, 10k and half marathon using it.
VINE VOICEon 20 December 2008
I have run a 5k race and have been running for almost a year, however, a dog attack whilst out on a run has shattered my confidence and I havent run for over a month. I have the "Beginner Runners" book which is excellant but being a member of Weight Watchers online, loads of members were recommending this book so I decided to buy it to see if it would help rebuild my confidence.

This book arrived yesterday and I can honestly say that if you want to start running then THIS is the book to buy - the ONLY book!

The format is incredibly friendly and if you dont like huge amounts of text then this is excellant. It is full of true life stories, hints and tips from real people just like me and includes a plan for beginning running and for going on from there.

I have printed my name on the front cover already and have signed the agreement to "get fit" and will be starting now despite the fact that it is Christmas week!

I am also going to purchase copies of this book for friends who want to run but dont have the confidence. I just wished I had ordered this book before so that I could have got more copies as Christmas presents.

If you want to run - BUY THIS BOOK!