on 21 January 2015
It can be tricky being a Terry Gilliam fan. Some people will think he's one of the other Pythons. Some people will think he's British. Some people will think he's mad and some people will think you're mad. I grew up on his films. From Jabberwocky onwards I've always like what I've seen. There is always something fantastical to catch a hold of you. The Zero Theorem is not exception. The visuals are stunning, the performances are crooked and weird. The story is a little empty and lost in the translation to screen, but this is Gilliam. You rarely get the complete package. Instead something will stand out or engage with you and there is so much of that here. Yet another strange world to explore and still so many viewings to come.
One person found this helpful
on 29 October 2017
A very interesting, very Gillium, piece. Certainly had a Brazil esc distopianism about the setting. Visually interesting and a curious story and plot that leaves you still not quite certain you quite got all of it in the first watch.
on 13 April 2015
I watched with an open mind yet it was still dissapponting. I was waiting for something, some twist, some point and then the film ended. It's like the director gave up half way and gave it to someone else to finish. To be fair there the main actor did a great job and did the best he could. There was no dark irony, it was missing some layer, some darkness, it was an unfinished piece of work.
on 15 November 2016
It's always tricky with Terry Gilliam, sometimes I get it and sometimes I don't. I didn't with this one, I was just puzzled throughout.

Maybe to plot was too "high brow" for me. I just have to reiterated, I found it just plain weird!
on 13 May 2015
I enjoyed the atmosphere more than the plot, which I found... Gilliamesque, I suppose, so to be expected, really!
I would recommend this to Gilliam fans, but not to someone who needs a clear, precise, happy ending, or who doesn't like to see tortured souls torturing (and occasionally helping) each other.
One person found this helpful
on 21 December 2014
Another superb intelligent thought provoking surreal nightmare of a movie from the sometimes patchy but always interesting Terry Gilliam of Monty Python fame.

Along with Twelve Monkeys and Brazil it forms a loose trilogy of nightmarish near future dystopias with a superb central performance from Christopher Waltz.

A definite five star must buy purchase.

Very Highly Recommended.
on 2 August 2014
I really wanted to love and I did fully understand the background and what they were getting at, which is the story in itself, but the way its presented was so crazy. Too much colour and busy things too much in the background. I would ahve given it 5 stars if it had been calmer on the eyes and imagination. I can only describe it as an artists film, like a Dahli painting.
on 29 March 2017
Christoph Waltz is just a magical actor and, working with a mind-storm of a direct such a Terry Gilliam it is bound to be both visually stimulating and logically demanding. I just loved it.
on 8 March 2015
This is a great film. It's Gilliam at his best, creating a visually striking world (production design and cinematography is just beautiful), populating it with engaging characters (Christoph Waltz is spectacular as Qohem Leth) and asking some big questions (about isolation, communication and the meaning of life).

The Zero Theorem is funny, tragic and oddly-uplifting. It's very good and it's very Gilliam.
on 28 October 2014
A little bit too camp and arty for me but I'm sure all Terry Gilliam fans will love it for exactly that reason, so I'm not going to criticise it. If you liked Brasil, then you'll like this also. It's wild and full of Gilliam-style pink wigs, quiffs and roller skates; but there is a deeply sad and desperate message running through the middle of it.