on 17 November 2015
This books absolutely awful..... it paints a horrible picture suggesting that with the arival of a new baby the older child should just accept that they will be ignored and will some how loose their place in the family. This was give to our daughter as a gift as my partner is currently pregnant. My daughter wants us to read it all the time but luckily we change the story to one of inclusion and of family togetherness . I can only imagine that the author must be deeply scarred by her treetment as a child or regards it as a good idea that when you have a new baby you should ignore your other children. I feel very sorry for 3 of her 4 children. This may be good if you want to justify ignoring your children but if you want your children to feel loved and included I would avoid this book like the plague.would have given it zero stars if possible.
on 28 May 2008
Thankfully my daughter was given this book after her little sister was born, as it paints a very bleak picture of what life will be like after the baby is born. Neither parent has time for the older child because they are so busy looking after the new baby, and even visitors to the new baby ignore the older child. At the end of the book things brighten up when he is told he can play with the new baby - however in my experience it's really not advisable to suggest a toddler can play with a newborn! I would hate to think that any child experiences the rejection this book portrays on the birth of younger sibling.
on 1 December 2008
This is a horrible story explaining how a child is made second best to a new baby. Really would not recommend this.
on 10 December 2010
This was given to my son when he was 2 when i had his sister. He loved it then and still loves it now (at 6yrs)as he can read it himself and he loves the pictures and story. It is a very positive book as it is honest ... it says the younger child does have needs that will have to be met but as parents we will find the time for you as well and in the end you will have soemone to play with and have fun with. It is a great book.
on 23 April 1999
Any child who is already a Maisy / Lucy Cousins fan will love this big format book which describes the problems the sibling faces when Mummy has to go to hospital to have number 2. Granny comes to look after Za-Za the little Zebra, and everyone is busy and tired and doting on the new born. Za-Za gets her share of the cuddles eventually. So it all ends happily. A great way of explaining what is going to happen when this big fat tummy turns into a demanding baby brother!
on 17 January 2010
If you're getting your child ready for the arrival of baby, skip this. It's only good for showing big sis/bro that life's no good when baby arrives. Nothing positive or reassuring from parents, ignored by relatives, and images of sibling having fun with baby are of 6 mth old baby, not newborn. Look elswhere for reassuring new brother/sister role material ( I got "I'm a big sister ( brother )" by Joanna Cole - far more positive for child who feels lost in new role!!!).
on 3 October 2003
A very colourful and positive book about having a new baby. I think it can be very useful to read for children who are waiting for a baby sister or brother to enter the family. The text is very positve but at the same time realistic ( mummy is tired etc...) all the way trough. The bright and colourful pictures appeals even to quite young children.
on 11 July 2001
In this picturebook Zaza, a little zebra gets a babybrother and from her point of view she tells about the time when the baby is born and how his arrival changes her life. The illustrations are in bright primary colours and very clearly outlined. My twin daughters absolutely loved this book. They were two and a half when their baby brother was born and for months on end I had to read this book to them before going to bed. After having read it several times to them, they knew the story by heart and loved reading it to me. Reading it so many times is not so bad as it sounds, because this book is a joy to read, even over and over again. This is not only due to the beautiful illustrations, but also because the story is written in the first person singular and thus it is very easy for todllers to identify with Zaza. The reaction of my dauthers spoke volumes when we read this book. For instance, they were always upset when the mother and father of Zaza did not have time for Zaza, because they were to busy with the new baby and at the end they were always very happy when the mother of Zaza finally had time to cuddle Zaza and read her a story. I really had the feeling they were talking about themselves when they would read it to me, because every time we read the book the different emotions that Zaza went through would show on their faces. I would like to recommend this book to all people who are going to have a baby and have a child or children in the toddler age. This review is based on the Dutch translation.
There are two dutch authors/illustrators I would like to recommend. Dick Bruna and Max Velthuys. In Holland both won numerous awards for their books.
on 31 July 2010
This book was perfect for my 3 year old. We read this at bedtime to help her understand what was happening now that she is going to be a big sister. Lovely colourful pictures. She loved this book and the wording was just right for her to understand, she would even say afterwards 'when daddy takes you to hospital I will have to stay with Grandma just like za-za'.
on 29 February 2016
Became a huge family favourite