Top positive review
A good case, has a few frustrating problems which are redeemed by great functionality.
on 29 December 2015
I have mixed feelings about this case, both positive and negative. I'd say overall the positives outweigh the negatives- but I'd check if there were a newer model available from ZAGG which might have a few of the limited issues ironed out.
- Despite the weight of the iPad, it actually stands balanced fairly well. Makes it look like a miniature laptop, fairly slim profile- which was really what I was searching for.
- The layout of the keyboard is pretty usable- despite the challenging area of space. It takes a bit of getting used to especially if you're used to using a Macbook/iMac keyboard but works fine.
- The bluetooth connection allows for a very easy set-up, it syncs easily.
- I absolutely love the back-lit keyboard, this feature although small makes a huge difference- you can even change the backlight colour, fantastic. However, I'd say that the actual glyphs, numerals and symbols on the keys don't allow enough light through them making it less functional to use in the dark.
- Makes the iPad great for web surfing, instant messaging and composing emails.
- WHEN the iPad fits into the case securely (see con below) the camera, volume, lock and standby buttons line up perfectly with the case.
- The outer textured leather grips nicely to work surfaces and is pleasant to hold.
- The hinge is nice and strong and maintains the desired angle well.
- I have personally found that my iPad Mini has continual problems fitting into the back of the plastic case. I found myself confused with how it actually locks in place and there is some kind of 'sticky' contact on the back which to me makes the case feel a bit less premium and present a problem with longevity. I have found that the iPad has unfastened itself from the case a few times which is a bit frustrating. This disappointingly was the only feature that I have any major issues with... not having a secure/reliable grip makes it action as a case rather dysfunctional.
- The battery life is relatively short, I also found that the cable to charge it was a bit too short and not very good quality (this however is only a very minor problem). I reckon some kind of stand-by mode would be a great a feature if an improvement were to be made- it's very easy to forget to turn it off.
- I find the screen rotation doesn't quite work well and hold horizontally and occasionally moves intermittently. This problem could well be nothing to do with the case, (I'm sure there's a way of locking screen rotation horizontally)- It'd be cool if there was some kind of automatic driver/feature that lowers the screen rotation sensitivity so that it doesn't switch to portrait orientation when adjusting the hinge angle.