Customer reviews

on 1 August 2014
Review Courtesy of April Hollingworth

Your Soul to Take is the second book in the Rise of the Fallen series. It carries on right where book 1 finished. It can be read as a standalone but to be honest these books are so good that you would be doing yourself out of a really great read. I completely recommend this fantastic series.

Opening Scene:

Be careful what you wish for.

The Review:

When Connor’s little sister, comes back from the dead, as a vampire, he couldn’t be happier. Returning from the dead brings Caelyn and Conner closer than they have been in years. So life is looking good. Conner’s learning to control his powers. His girlfriend is no longer blind.
But soon things go from good to hell no quicker than a heartbeat. Conner has a psychotic stalker who just won’t take no for an answer, and if that wasn’t bad enough something is ripping the souls from his friends. With all that going on Conner has to learn to be a Reaper, to take the souls from those who break their contract. A job he would rather not have. With danger closing in from all directions, Connor has to learn to control his powers, learn to fight and keep his friends and family safe before all hell, literally comes crashing down around his ears.

Notable Scene:

I walked over to the middle of the clearing and stood there facing Caelyn. I called my wings and they appeared with a soft thwump behind me. Caelyn’s eyes opened in wide fascination.
“Can I touch them?”
I nodded. “Be careful though.”
“Are they fragile?”
“No, ticklish as all hell.”
It probably wasn’t a good idea telling her that. She was Caelyn after all. I felt her run her finger along the bone and the webbing between them. She behaved but couldn’t help mutter. “Cool.”
“I thought so, too, the first time I saw them.”
“So you can fly?”
I gave a quick beat of my wings and hovered in the air above her before slowly lowering myself to the ground. “Yep. You might be able to someday, too. When I made Brett, he wanted to be a very specific type of vampire. He would have been able to fly if he lived longer.”
“What?”
“He wished to be the kind of vampire that grows in power the older they get.”
“Not that part. The ‘when I made Brett’ part. What are you?”
I sighed. If anyone was responsible for my sister’s death it would be me, and she didn’t even know. I just hope she would forgive me. Stepping back from her, I called my true form. She backed up even further as I grew to my full eight feet. I saw my hands turn blue, my nails grow crimson colored talons, and my hair lengthened until it reached between my wings. When I spoke, there was an otherworldly resonance that sent visible shivers down my sister’s spine. “I am a Fallen.”

FTC Advisory: Jen Wylie provided me with a copy of Your Soul to Take by Sean Hayden. Published through Untold Press. Kindle Edition. No goody bags, sponsorships, “material connections,” or bribes were exchanged for my review.
on 5 September 2014
Your Soul To Take was awesome! It was funny and clever, and the story line was well written. The way that Sean Hayden wrote the book kept me feeling like I was inside of the main characters mind, and that definitely kept me entertained and giggling.

The book starts off immediately where it left off, which was exactly what I had wanted. It didn't waste any time delving right into the story, and even had a prologue at the beginning in case you weren't all clear with what was going on. We got to see a whole new side to a lot of the characters, which was interesting.

The book is very well placed in terms of genres. It's definitely YA as well as fantasy, and the story is awesome. I loved how things evolved from the first book, and the story that came out of it. It was clever and I'm glad Sean wrote more.

There was a ton of unexpected things that happened throughout the story, keeping me interested. The whole Fallen and Chosen thing was a really good twist on Angels and Demons, and I would love to read more of this story. I have to give this book 5 out of 5 stars!