Format: Paperback|Change

on 3 January 2014
I have read a few books of a similar genre as I am thinking of starting my own business and I have to say that this is by far the best book that I have read.
I found it really easy, amusing and interesting to read with an incredible amount of useful information on each page (my kindle highlighter was working overtime!) which covered some very technical aspects of business start up without making me feel overwhelmed by the technospeak.
It has left me feeling inspired to try for myself and has given me exact baby steps as to how to get started.
on 14 January 2013
My biggest worry about starting my own craft business has always been the official/legal side of things.

I have read any number of start your own business books which seem to have glossed over this area; however I found Kevin's approach to be clear and concise, with signposts to sources for the type of information which will change over time keeping the book up-to-date.

I now am clear on what I need to get in the way of insurance, who I need to inform and what records I need to keep.

There was also very useful advice giving safe steps for seeing which products sell and which are going to be a waste of your time, money and effort. Further advice on products and services which are essential, useful or wasteful in terms of actually running your business help reduce start-up costs, prioritise spending and allow you to make decisions on investment in your specific business - these are especially useful as the author is basing these on the experience of setting up the 'Making your own candles' business run by him and his wife; he also has written other successful books on the subject of running an online business.

All-in-all, I was so impressed, I bought ....... no unfortunately I did not have the financial clout to buy the company ...... the paperback for a good friend who is also considering starting her own craft business.

As for me - well I have started focussing on which products I will 'test' first and will hopefully have my first sales under my belt before too long!
on 8 November 2012
This is a very clearly written, well structured book. Above all it is inspiring and encouraging, so if you always wanted your own craft business but have always stopped yourself somehow - read it and go for it!
on 10 April 2014
I took a chance on this book since it was 99p for the Kindle and I'm so glad I did! This book is full of helpful advice for British crafters and is both practical (looking at the law & the HMRC too) and inspiring. I think a lot of crafters shy away from the business side of things, thinking maybe that they are too creative to have a "business head" or just don't know where to begin, but this book shows that if you're prepared to work hard, anyone is capable of running their own craft business. Thoroughly recommended.
on 16 January 2013
I bought this book via my kindle as I am in the process of starting up my own craft business. I read the whole of the book in one sitting as once I started I wanted to know more. The links in the book are spot on and reading it via a kindle meant I could access them straight away. I will be reading it several more times so that I can digest all the information supplied and would recommend as a must for anyone starting out. It is easy to read and explains the different processes of starting out in layman's terms. Definitely a good choice and very up to date.
on 7 April 2014
This is a brilliant book for anyone thinking of starting a business, full of loads of information and links to websites. Gives as much information as the business centre. It is also well written and easy to read, the writer has a friendly attitude, good ideas and gives loads of brilliant information.
on 28 November 2012
I've been wanting to start a business using my craft skills for years but never got round to it. I found out about this book through the author's website (makingyourowncandles.co.uk) and it's exactly what I was looking for. It takes you through everything you need to do step by step with very clear instructions and no waffle. I was worried about what to make and how much to charge so I was pleased to see the book tackles these head on.

Perhaps the best thing I can say is that I now feel ready to go for it!
on 26 August 2014
Following my decision to start a craft based micro business, I took a look at the books on offer to help me in this area and decided to buy this one. I have to say that this may be the most useful business book I have ever read. The practical advice is second to none and I learnt some new techniques, such as pricing.
Would highly recommend to others.
on 6 May 2014
This is a very easy & quick read packed full of basic advice for anyone wanting to start a craft business. There are lots of links to real examples and case histories. I have similar books on my shelf that are from an American perspective and the information isn't always readily transferable so it's great to have a book focused on the UK market.
This is a book I will keep going back to as I start on my own craft business venture, it really is step by step.
on 31 May 2015
Very clear, easy to understand, not too much jargon. Very encouraging throughout, feel excited to begin my own business knowing a lot more than I did before starting this book. Would recommend to anyone considering starting their own business.