Your Britain Hardcover – 25 May 2010
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Enter your mobile number below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Beers offers a compelling analysis of the development of the Labour party's media strategy from the early days down to its great electoral victory of 1945, and sets it very effectively within the context of the mass communications revolution of the first half of the twentieth century. This outstanding book will appeal to anyone interested in the history of the Labour party and the media.--Andrew Thorpe, University of Exeter
This is a very original and important book. Beers argues strongly against the conventional view that the Labour Party was reluctant to exploit the modern media, especially commercial media, and that such reluctance was a major impediment to the Party's growth. She makes the convincing case that Labour was quick to take up modern media, 'capitalist' or otherwise a readiness which was an essential element in the creation of the broad-based democratic electorate that gave the Party victory in 1945.--Ross McKibbin, University of Oxford"
About the Author
Laura Beers is Assistant Professor of History, American University.
Top Customer Reviews
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Business, Finance & Law > Management
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > Edwardian and Early 20th Century 1901-1913
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > Inter-war Period 1919-1938
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > Ireland
- Books > History > Essays, Journals, Letters & True Accounts > 20th Century
- Books > History > Europe > Early 20th Century 1901-1913
- Books > History > Europe > Inter-war Period 1919-1938
- Books > History > North America > Early 20th Century 1901-1913
- Books > History > North America > Inter-war Period 1919-1938
- Books > History > Political History > Marxism & Communism
- Books > History > World History > 1901-1913
- Books > History > World History > Inter-war Period 1919-1938
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Government & Politics > Political Science & Ideology
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Social Sciences > Communication Studies > Media Studies