Customer reviews

on 26 December 2013
Being a small business owner, I have my own opinions on a lot of things; how to write copy is one of them.

I have carefully walked the line between waffling too much and not getting messages across - to modest success, in my humble opinion. However, after reading this book, I realised there was a lot of room for improvement. Luckily, the author, gives you not only food for thought, but the recipe for the meal, the pots to cook with, and the whole bloody kitchen.

Rest assured, I'll be going back to all of our copy to make sure that it says what we're trying to say/achieve/inspire/evoke. I guarantee that we'll be improving our image, generating better responses and - hopefully - increasing our sales because of it. Not bad for a book that took me a few hours to read over Christmas.

Get your hands on the book, and re-read this review. I've used a lot of the suggestions to write it. See if you can spot them, and put them in to practice yourself.
on 3 January 2014
Homophily is not a word that I use often for two reasons - 1. Most people don't understand the word although they fully indulge in the practice; and 2. It's too complex!

Homophily in the broadest context just means that we're influenced, one way or another, by people 'who are like us'. We can't actually help it, you know! We're just wired that way! (I think it has something to do with survival 'n stuff!).

So why am I making such a noise about this word that so few have heard of before?

Well, it is for one good reason. I have been a fan of James Daniel's work for years now. I've always loved his ability to really communicate simply and effectively with people. (Don't tell him, but actually, I hate him for it!)

So, here's why his book's so important to me:

I've read many of the fabulous reads from the really great copywriters, and (I must admit) I've learned so much from them. They share so freely of their knowledge and skills - but there's one notable difference (for me) between them and James Daniel. Homophily!

Sure, many of them started from scratch - and they tell it so articulately. Their struggles, their depths of despair and agony; the make or break of their careers. . . and I do marvel at what they've accomplished; but somehow, they just seem so out of reach for me. I wonder whether I'll ever achieve anything with regards to copywriting by following their collective leads.

But James? Ah, now there's a man I know. Someone who is like me;
And you know what? His words simply dance! Aaannnddd... he's crazy enough to share - for almost no money at all!! (£8.99: Seriously!? You call that money?)

This book has illustrated to me just why 'being rational' instead of 'conversational' has just plain killed the campaigns I've undertaken. Sure, some of them have been really cute - but when the chips were down, they simply didn't cut the mustard.

Thankfully, serendipity (damn, there's a big word!) smiled - and I started working through this book; The right time, right place: It's gonna be a great year. Why? Because I know that I'll be communicating a whole lot better.

Buy it, read it - and you'll soon know the word 'serendipity'
on 28 October 2015
James's book is a superb introduction to copywriting for business owners and for marketers afflicted by zombie jargon. It's clear, simple, readable, and if you apply what James teaches in this book, your marketing will be much, MUCH better than 99% of your competition.
Forget a whole bunch of what you were taught in school. Forget EVERYTHING you learned on business courses. Read this book, and you'll be well on your way to selling more stuff, to more people, more often. And probably at higher prices.
on 10 March 2015
Its a book - nothing magical or fancy about it, just paper with words on...but what great words they are!

I am changing the way I think and also the way I write, the simple tips in this book are not common sense they are uncommon sense.
There is nothing that James suggests that I cannot do! I don't need a degree in communication to write good copy, I need to remember what I have read.

If you want to see what all the fuss is about - buy the book!
If you want to have a chuckle and learn at the same time - buy the book!
If you want more results - buy the book!

I have met James and been on one of his training courses. This book isn't a replacement for speaking to James and seeing what he can do for you, but if you want to "see what all the fuss is about" you will be so pleased you spent some cash on this!

Writing as you speak isn't easy, in fact it is really hard and can sometimes feel unnatural. But with James' tips, your copy will work better - simple as that!
on 27 December 2013
In my day job I regularly have to review websites and as a result see examples of poorly written copy on an almost daily basis:

Long, waffly paragraphs...

Insider jargon that only someone working for the business will understand...

Copy that reads like an endorsement of the business that's been written by the MD themself...

Sales messages that focus purely on bashing competitors...

The list goes on, thankfully you'll find none of that in "Do You Talk Like at Home". From start to finish it's full of helpful, common sense tips, designed to help your business communicate to customers on their level. If your job involves writing copy of any kind it will be a useful addition to your bookshelf.
on 26 February 2014
I have employed James as a copywriter for a variety of business facing media and am please with the results.

As an HE professional working with businesses for over 15 years I can back every word of what James says. Forget the fancy words - cut to the chase and tell it like it is! As an English Literature graduate the section on rogue apostrophes had me punching the air; really great tips for sensible application of grammar.

My husband chuckled all the way through reading this so I'm guessing James' professional yet chatty style has won through yet again.

A book for every professional and every household.
on 3 January 2014
As a digital media professional, it's often difficult to capture the mind space of so many online readers. After reading this book, I knew straight away that it wasn't what I was saying, it was how I was saying it. This book helped me to understand how to create great content.

I read this book about a month ago and have referenced it over and over again in my own business. Might just be one of the handiest books I've got in my library.

ABB
on 11 January 2014
We've recently been improving our marketing for our web design company and bought this book to help with the tone of language and its been an excellent read. Definitely recommend!