Format: Audio CD|Change

on 1 July 2014
This is a new way of making an album for John, and one that has rarely been seen by established names where it is crowd funded and hence free of the requirement to satisfy a range of impactful investors such as music companies.

Working with people he has worked with for years, including musical director Matt Brind, John has been able to make the album that he wanted to make and believed people will love - and so far it seems to have worked.

This album is covers of a wide mix of music from traditional songs to popular hits. The musical styles and arrangements vary significantly from one to another but all are infectious, emotional or downright beautiful.

Ashleigh Gray duets with John on 'Bridge Over Troubled Waters' and has depth and power to her voice that holds its own with John and feels balanced. 'Listen to the Music' has in infections drum beat that means driving to it can result in significant head bobbing. 'Hollywood' just makes you get up and dance!. There are a number of powerful ballads, starting with simple, dulcet tones and building, with the aid of gospel choirs, a strings section, bagpipes and John's powerful baritone to really take the listener on a journey through the song. The recent hits selected ('A Thousand Years' and 'Skyscraper') suit John's voice to a tea and he has the age and credibility to convey to the listener that he understands and believes every word of the lyrics. 'That's the Way It Is' is the one track I did not immediately love - seems a little too predictable in its pop beat, but it is growing on me and I certainly don't dislike it.

I adore John as a live performer and admire him and his team, but have not always totally loved the studio albums and preferred to listen to live versions of his music which have had a 'something' that has been lost somewhere along the way in the arduous, negotiated process of recording a studio album for a major label.

You Raise Me Up has managed to keep that magic and boyish charm - it makes me smile (even if through tears), dance (badly) and appreciate those around me I love. In short it Raises Me Up, and for that John, Matt, Gavin, Katy and everyone involved - I thank you very very much.
on 1 July 2014
Barrowman has said he had full artistic control over this album, and it shows. This album is so much better than the previous few ones. It's probably the best one he's done since Swings Cole Porter, and certainly the best of his 'pop' albums. Previously , no matter how good he is as a live performer the albums always seemed a little bland, lacking his stage energy. This one is I can play on repeat. The vocals, music arrangement, orchestration, even the choir, are superb. Apparently Barrowman is no longer with a record label, and this album was funded via crowdfunding by his fans. More artists should do that if it produces albums of this quality!
on 30 June 2014
Well Done John a great cd, waited a long while for it but its worth the wait.New arrangements for the songs are great.Also it has"Goodbye My Friend" on it, which I have waited so long to get,loved it from the first time I heard it at a concert( John Barrowman Concert)If your a Barrowman fan your love it.Now looking forward to his concert tour next year. THANKS JOHN.
on 7 July 2014
This is a fantastic album! As usual, John's singing is incredibly powerful, and there is a great selection of songs which will appeal to everyone. I was especially pleased A Thousand Years is on it (which I could happily repeat over and over - this version is heaven!), and the intensely emotional Goodbye My Friend (even if it does make me feel like crying!). then there is the up-beat Listen To The Music, a real happy tune, which I really love too. Really, this whole album perfectly showcases John's vocal talents as a whole and demonstrates what can be achieved by having complete control over its making as opposed to a big record company getting their mitts on things. He is a truly gifted entertainer, and its an absolute pleasure to listen to his amazing voice. If you have not purchased this album yet, go ahead, give your ears a treat!
on 12 December 2014
Excellent CD. I have all John`s CDs, but this one really gets to me. It brings tears to my eyes, in a happy way. It is because how high he goes and holds on to the notes, longer than what he has done before and also because he is a great guy.
on 30 June 2014
An amazing Cd, John sounds stunning as per usual. Matt Brind has done the most gorgeous arrangements. A selection of my favourite songs, sung beautifully. I shed a few tears on a couple of songs, had goosebumps and the hairs standing up on the back of my neck from the emotionally charged album. A must for any fan and I would recommend for anyone who loves this type of music sung brilliantly. I'm sure this album will win over new fans too!
on 8 July 2015
Fantastic album from an incredible entertainer. My favourite song on the Album is "For A Thousand Years" John sung the majority of the songs from this album in his concerts on his recent UK tour.
Put it on my mp3 also so that I can listen wherever I am.
on 23 September 2014
I have all John Barrowman's cds with songs ranging from show stoppers to this mix of older songs like Mandy to the recent Skyscraper. His voice can so often have a smile in it, or can be poignant, (as in 'Tell my father' on another of his cds, the plea of a dying Union soldier in the American Civil War). On this one, 'A Thousand Years' is lovely, 'You Raise Me Up' a classic and 'Goodbye My Friend' moving. This new cd is a wonderful mix of styles and emotions.
on 30 June 2014
I brought this through "Pledge" and got it before the release date! As a John Barrowman Fan, I have waited so long for something new in music! Have listened to it non-stop since it arrived! Can't wait for the concert tour next year, I already have tickets! Thank you Mr. B!!!!!
on 16 April 2015
Order processed without any problem and was shipped and received in a timely manner. Packaging was good and easy to open. Yeah not bad but repertoire a little stayed and as expected - too safe in the choice of material.