on 27 April 2013
It has to be said that unless you are a woman (probably) who spent her pre teen and teenage years reading sweet valley high books that you a) won't understand this and b) won't like it.

I loved it, I loved the wit of the author, I loved how as an adult, she made me remember those far off days when I wondered why my life wasn't as glamorous as the Wakefield twins. I loved the way she took every book apart and gave her views, it must have taken her years to write the book!

If you read sweet valley high and wondered why you didn't live that life, then seriously get this as an adult, you'll love her humour and dry wit!
on 19 October 2013
This was a freebie on Amazon and I immediately bought it because I was a massive Sweet Valley High fan in my teenage days. I used to dream of living in perfect Sweet Valley and remember thinking the twins were just the coolest ever.

This book had me laughing out loud in the first few pages. My kids even begged me to stop laughing as we are taken through an introduction to life in Sweet Valley and the authors reflections upon the series as she revisits them as an adult.

Commenting upon the often political incorrectness and the fact that the characters seem to be akin to Ken & Barbie - full of sexual innuendo but with no genitals. It was hysterical in the outset and I had very high hopes.

Much of the book then moves on to be a book-by-book account of the lives of the Wakefield twins and the authors reflections on how anyone with brown hair is unattractive, how characters with single parents or of ethnic descent are always poor or troubled and just how the Wakefield twins are so beautiful they are always being kidnapped, stalked or avoiding murder meaning Sweet Valley isn't all that perfect.

I lives the start of this book but I got bored about 50% of the way through, I can see how as a blog it worked but to read as a book it was too repetitive and I just lost the will to read a blow by blow account of over 100 books. It was lovely to revisit old friends like Lila, Bruce, Enid & Todd but not in one sitting. It became a little samey but it was awesome to giggle at the outset over something that was such an integral part of my youth and to quote the author just what would Bella Swan or Katniss Everdeen have made of Liz & Jessica Wakefield?
on 11 March 2014
I remember reading the Sweet Valley books as a preteen back in the 90s, now in hindsight I can see how cheesy the series was and how inappropriate Mr Collins is! This actually made me LOL several times, well done!
on 15 November 2013
I am currently re-reading the whole of the Sweet Valley High series and have enjoyed the reminiscing. I found this book quite funny and tried to read it in conjunction with each book the in the series and it pointed out some things to me that had never really crossed my mind. However, the continual use of bad language put me off it a little. It was quite unnecessary in places. However, the synopsis of the books and the way they were written in a variety of different styles made it enjoyable to read. However , you do need to have read multiple Sweet Valley High books to `get' this one.
on 18 July 2014
I absolutely loved this book- it was funny, sarcastic and a perfect way to reminisce the Sweet Valley High books, which I read repeatedly in my teens.
on 27 May 2013
Excellent (and very funny) book summaries. Best bit was the suggestion of Jon Hamm for George Fowler.
Yes, yes, yes. DILF.
on 20 April 2014
This book gives a very honest, if not depressing view of what is deemed as acceptable for children in the 90s.
on 4 September 2013
I just stumbled across this book and bought it on a whim and I am so glad i did! I laughed out loud from start to finish, i love the style of writing and the author's opinions. It was also a nostalgic nod to my teenage days of borrowing every sweet valley book from the library. would definitely recommend to anyone who read the sweet valley books back in the day.
on 18 November 2013
What a hilarious well written book. cant believe how long it must have taken to re read the books but the observations were just spot on. Love love love it.
on 19 December 2013
Hilarious, reminds me of many a conversation my friends have had about SVH. Would love to read an SVU sequel!