on 26 April 2017
This is a brilliant book. Written clearly and backed up by the word of God. Includes helpful quotes from other Christian writers too. Offers practical advice and is easy to read and follow. I loved reading this book and would highly recommend if you are struggling with certain sins or habits that you've given up thinking you can be free from. This book will help you realise that God really can change you.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 1 October 2010
This is a first class practical guide to sanctification, to the constant spiritual warfare that is the calling of every Christian. It is biblical teaching with practical tasks to apply it. Life can be changed. We used it to good effect in house group studies. The only criticism is the less than circumspect opening to the introduction.
on 15 March 2011
A great reminder to all followers of Jesus,that we cannot change ourselves, though we often try to! This book is a real encouragement, no matter how bad you are feeling about yourself, to allow the Holy Spirit to fill you and work in you, through God's wonderful grace. I recommend this book most highly!
on 9 August 2009
In my battle for holiness I've bought and read a stack of books from all through church history. Many of them are excellent and well worth your time and money, but there are at least three ways this book surpasses them all.

1) It is dead simple. John Owen on sanctification is fabulous, but people thought he was hard to read in the 17th century, and he's not got any easier since. Chester has clearly taken in much of the wisdom of Owen, Ryle, and many of the other classics and restated it in language which is racy, gritty, true to life and simple. I would feel confident giving this book to a new Christian who'd never taken A levels - many books I've read would be a challenge to a university graduate.

2) It gives a great overview. A remarkable number of great books seem to specialise in one or another thing but don't give an easy vision of the big picture. While Chester doesn't go into the depth that other books sometimes go into he's by no means superficial, at the same time giving an insight into the wider battle with unbelief and idolatry.

3) It's relentlessly gospel focussed. There are other books that do this, but it's so important that it's got to be mentioned really. Without ever being soft on sin, Chester never resorts to guilt-trip, or legalism to encourage you to holiness, because it doesn't work.

All in all, very much worth your money. I've read it four times now and still expect to get more out of a few more readings.
0Comment| 83 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 2 November 2010
It is worth taking the time to read this book and allow God to work in your life. This book is jam packed full of bible references, the questions are helpful and the reflection exercises are great. I would recommend this for all Christians. a fantastic read. I would suggest finding someone to be accountable to - so they can pray for you and encourage you as you face the daily decisions we make as followers of Jesus.
on 10 December 2010
I just loved this book; it is so helpful. It is easy to read, practical and inspiring. I would definitely recommend.
on 30 January 2012
I found this book amazing, it is so easy to read and I found it to be really thought provoking and made me question how I went about my daily life. I found it very easy to read and was so good in helping me rethink my behaviour and attitudes and just my day to day dealings and focus my approach in a deeper christian way. I can't recommend this book enough just brilliant
on 9 January 2011
Brilliant read,real eye opener.Brilliant self-help book with alot of help from God of course.
Will read time and time again.Really interesting and helpful book. I am an avid book reader,especially
christian books. One of my favourites, and easy to understand even for me!
on 10 April 2011
This was bought as basis for discussion by a church "Home Group" which I lead.
It has been much appreciated by most of the 9 or 10 folk participating in its use (with their own copies I must add!)
on 6 March 2012
I've only begun this book, (am reading it alongside In a Redeemers Hands), it is a great book.
I already feel challenged but in a positive way
The style is easy to read yet still challenging
I recommend this completely