Format: Blu-ray|Change

on 18 March 2014
I watched this alone in the cinema and was so very engrossed I was stunned when the lights came up! Like Stardust, you need to believe in magic and be able suspend reality to enjoy this but if you do, you'll be struck by the beauty and wonder of the eternal themes of love, goodness, trials and hope which it takes you through.
33 comments| 46 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 19 September 2014
I would not call myself emotional in the daily life sense of it, I am however very spiritual, and even though I have outgrown "looking" for true love in life and built up all sort of defense mechanisms... this... this film just shattered all these walls I built around myself and had me bursting into tears... thank you and yes. one day we will all become stars! :')
on 28 August 2014
Loved it. The film transports you to another world. Colin Farrell is great, as is Russell Crowe. I just can't see why critics hated it.
on 6 March 2014
Winter's Tale - a truly magical, uplifting, emotional piece of art.

The directing is wonderfully done accompanied with a musical score which makes it special and really shine all throughout the movie.

Script is full of metaphors, symbolism with huge amount of detail and depth in it, thought-provoking ideas, it is beautiful and unique, which is quite rare in films nowdays.

There is plenty to see for the mainstream audience, as well as people who have different perspective, so it works on both levels, which really surprised me.

The acting is a strong part and everyone did a great job to portray interesting and multi-layered characters, especially the chemistry between Colin Farrell and Jessica Brown-Findlay was wonderful to watch, and they fit the roles very well.

Cinematography is also a very important part of the movie, the film visually looks amazing and it helped to create a believable New York, with all of the different settings and themes - major and small.

There are some issues here and there, but it is a 'Tale' and i think this motion picture represents the title perfectly.

The only real problem is the marketing - trailer, while it is really good, in my opinion, it barely represents the actual movie - posters, they look really cheap and similar to every romance film, therefore people might have been mistaken and not wanting to see this movie in theaters, although i can see now that the cover of Blu-Ray looks great. So, don't judge a product by it's marketing.

Overall, i loved the film, every second of it. Can't wait to see it again! A must own on Blu-Ray/DVD!

Blu-Ray review (US version):

Winter's Tale on Blu-Ray looks exceptionally well. Video transfer is vivid, detailed and i think it captured the feel of the film in the cinemas. Audio is once again, top quality, no complains. Unfortunately, for me the most awaited part of the disc (Bonus Features) are not so great. There are 2 featurettes added and about 13 minutes of deleted, extended scenes. While, these still make an exciting watch, there are just too few of them. I was waiting for a Director's Cut, commentaries, but was dissapointed to find only these special features. I still think that this is a worthy purchase, for people who haven't seen the film and for the fans. 4/5 Stars

The director/writer/producer Mr. Akiva Goldsman did an amazing job and i thank him and the rest of the cast and crew with all of my heart, thank You for making this one of a kind movie!
on 25 August 2014
this is the best film I have seen in a long time .I was engrossed from the start .It touched my soul.
on 3 September 2014
Not as bad as the reviews say.

Being a big Colin Farrell fan, I wanted to see this movie but was nervous due to the terrible reviews in both Total Film and Empire magazine..

First 10 mins I was unsure but after that the film captured my imagination and I really enjoyed it.

Colin Farrell is amazing in it, with a great supporting cast.

Its the perfect film to snuggle with the girlfriend and enjoy a bottle of wine with..
on 25 February 2014
The critics hate it, and seemingly everyone else who has forgotten the wonders of magic. But, if you are amongst the brave not scared of your emotions and daring to believe there is indeed "more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy" Hamlet... even miracles that transform life then you will be touched and moved by this film. The Hans Zimmer is haunting and entirely appropriate. If there was an option to give it 6 stars I would!!
on 11 April 2016
What a truly stunning film. I was searching for a film to suit my mood at the time. I have now watched it 5 times and love every second of it. The casting is perfect all the way through and the Devil and his henchman are perfect as are the star crossed lovers. What a stunning piece of filmistry as there are no other words that spring to mind 10 stars if possible and now my favourite film of all time. ♥
on 10 April 2016
I hadn't seen any reviews for this ,but as a Colin Farrell fan I thought I would give it a shot and loved it, it tugged at my heart strings through out and thought I would just give it 5 stars without a review as I do with many movies I see, but then I started seeing these negative reviews and couldn't believe they were talking about the same film!
it's a fairy tale about love, miracles and good against evil and was amazing, there are so many jaded souls out there and I guess if your one of them then you wont see the light, but for those of you that haven't given up on life then I think you'll love it
Like many films this has received mixed press and indeed reviews, the film cost around $60 million to make,
and failed at the Box-Office, does that make it a 'avoid at all costs movie' in this case i suggest, not.
This is a delightful and magical tale set in mystical 'New York' at the turn of the 20th century.
Burglar and Mechanic 'Peter Lake' (Colin Farrell) who is being hunted down by the man who had brought the
orphan up 'Pearly Soames' (Russell Crowe) and his associates, does by a twist of fate during a burglary at a
fortress-style mansion meets 'Beverly Penn' (Jessica Brown Findlay) romance blossoms between them instantly.
'Peter' falls hopelessly in love with 'Beverly' though she has but months to live, the threat possed by 'Pearly' hangs over 'Peter'
'Peter' has been told there is one miracle to be had for everyone, if but once, he craves to stop time and bring
'Beverly' back from the clutches of death itself.
Many years will pass before 'Peter' has the chance to fulfill both his purpose and indeed destiny, that being if
the old enemy 'Pearly' doesn't achieve what he'd failed to do so many years before.
This is a very good and very watchable film, a little happy and a little sad, the very presence of a host of well
known stars should give a hint of it's quality, ignore the critics.
Among the names on-board 'William Hurt' as 'Beverly's father 'Isaac' 'Jennifer Connelly' plays 'Virginia Gamely'
'Mckayla Twiggs' as young 'Willa' 'Eve Marie Saint' as the older 'Willia' and 'Will Smith' in a cameo role as
'Lucifer' a few among many.
Give it a whirl....
Special Features -
* Winters Tale : A Timeless Love ~ Journey with the all-star cast as the bring the romance and destiny from book
to screen.
* Characters of Good and Evil ~ Colin Farrell~Russell Crowe~Jessica Brown Findlay and Jennifer Connelly- share
how their Characters came to life....And More.