Colour: Grey 4.0 kg|Change

Well with my small hands I'm not bothered about the width. Having lost one of a pair of bright green dumbells, it's actually useful to be able to buy these singly. It's also good that they come in 0.5kg increments at the lower masses (for the programme I'm following I need various sizes of weights - it's great for those of us without inherent strength to go slowly. I've acually bought a set York 10kg Vinyl Fitbell Kit in a Case which is a bit more of a bargain. My only caveat is that these are shiny and actually a little sticky- I do prefer the matt grip of the dumbells produced by Reebok (Reebok Handweight but they only come in full kilo intervals.
on 20 February 2009
I bought these weights to use with Davinas Super Body Workout. Having never used weights before thought I would go for 1.5kg. These were plently heavy enough for a beginner. They have got a slightly sticky feeling plastic coating but these actually makes them feel quite secure in your hand. I am going to get the 2kg ones in the next few weeks as I am used to this weight now, however I will use the 1.5kg for Nell MacAndrew workout as this is harder and I can still only do half of it with 1.5kg.
on 2 November 2013
I ordered two of the 4k versions- each weight seems to have a different design so this review is only helpful if you are looking at getting the same size.

I've recently started to try and improve my health- I don't really have time to join a gym at the moment so I thought the best bet would be to get some weights and just see how I get on. (along with cutting out the pizza, etc, of course) I'd been using 2 litre bottles of water for a bit before getting these weights- I literally had no muscle- just very bony arms, so the bottles of water actually helped. I wasn't going to get far with them though so I decided to get these- I wasn't sure what weight to get but I think I made the right choice- these feel heavy enough to make for a good work out but not too heavy so as to end up injuring me. I can thus recommend these for people who are just beginning to lift, like myself, though you might want to warm up for a bit with something lighter first.

The main difference between the weights aside from the colours and, um, how much they weigh (yeah...) seems to be the design- according to a lot of reviews, the smaller sized weights have very short handles and thus seemed to have been designed for females. I can only speak for the 4k ones but I'm a +6 foot male and there's easily enough space for me to hold the weights so I either have strangely small hands or some of the weights have different designs. Looking at the pictures, the latter seems to be the case- some seem to have a bump in the middle and some don't- mine doesn't so I'm guessing the ones with the bump are maybe smaller? I don't know, but these are fine for me anyway.

I like the coating- I can grip the weights easily and I just like how it feels. I can also sit the weights down somewhere without worrying about them rolling away because they aren't fully circular at the ends so this may again be a thing that differs depending on the size of weight you buy.

So yeah, I recommend these but do bear in mind the design differences between each type and make sure you read the reviews suited to the kind that you plan to purchase.
on 16 February 2009
I bought these as im still sticking to my New Years resolution by doing my exercise dvds - i think they are great, i was a little concerned by the comment about them being too narrow to hold but they fit perfectly ok!!! I dont have a problem with the grip, the plastic is not at all sticky, A good buy!!
on 11 July 2009
When I bought this item I was unsure as to whether the quality would be comparable to the weights that I use at the gym, they are actually better than the 1s that I use there, as the covering is more comfortable to grip, as I am excercising.
on 24 February 2008
I think that if you are just starting out with weights, the 3kg is a good to start off with. Overall very good value.
My only complaint is that they could be wider, so it would be easier to put your hand in it.
on 7 June 2012
I decided I wanted to put on a little muscle, and it's working, but really that's not to do with the unique properties of this dumbell, you gan build muscle lifting four kg of anything.
It works great and has a tough rubber coating which keeps the insides in and the outside out, so yeah, it works as well as four kilos of whatever in a rubber casing should do.
my only complaint is that it has no flat edges, so you can't safely store it on a high shelf because it might roll off.
on 4 January 2015
Bought 2 4KG weights, arrived as seen on picture. Good quality material and nice grip. The center bar is not a round sphere but slightly angular for better grip and took time getting used too. Color is very bland for 4KG weight which is a shame. My only complaint is that one of the weights had ink from something all over one side. I was very disappointed about this but a little bit of Cif and elbow grease wiped it off in minutes.
on 5 June 2016
I ordered 2 Red 2.5kgs York Dumbbells. I had started out using my own set of of weights in purple at 1.5kg in conjunction with a stepping machine routine and once I was accustomed to the 2kg I wanted to move up to really start to get definition in the arms. I really wanted something girly and bright but it was incredibly hard to find. I settled with the red not my favourite colour but not bad. However I was really pleased when I used them to work out. The texture of the outer layer is a rubberised material which helps you to maintain grip, unlike my other weights which could sometimes slip in the hands - especially as you go further into the workout and get hotter. They are small, easily stored away and clearly labelled.
Love these york dumbbells! I bought them in the 4kg and 5kg sizes. The vinyl coating makes them tactile and visually appealing. I am female and petite and like the way they fit into my hands - I previously had huge plastic coated dumbbells which were slippery and just too large to manoeuvre comfortably! These York ones by contrast feel sturdy and are not at all slippery. Highly recommended particularly for women who tend to have smaller hands than men!

See one answered question