on 19 March 2017
Having just received this book I can see that it will be a great help for me BUT when I tried to run the CDROM that came with it I hit a problem. The program on the disc that allows you to do exercises and tests to assess your competence, whilst being helpful in itself, doesn't work (at least not out of the box) on a Windows 10 computer. This is annoying, since you would have thought that producing the CDROMs for operating systems that have long since been retired (2000 and XP) would be rectified by now.
So if you have had a difficulty running the CD on a Windows 10 machine then this 'fix' that I have worked out appears to work for some of the tests if not all...
This next process assumes that you have 'run' the program on the CD either by 'Autorun' or by clicking on the .exe file to run the program on the disc:
Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\McGraw Hill\Big Yellow German Verbs\Database and copy the file named: 'User_Records.mdb'
Then go to Folder: 'Users' and find your folder - mine is labelled 'rbrtg' - yours will be different but obvious! Open that folder, find and click on 'AppData', then 'Roaming', then 'Big Yellow Book' - you will probably find that this folder is empty.
Now 'Paste' the file that you copied earlier into this 'Big Yellow Book' folder. THEN change the name of the .mdb file to: 'Current_User.mdb' - you should now find that when you run the program it correctly finds the database and will work with it. GOOD LUCK!
on 12 October 2016
This is the most comprehensive, useful and best-designed book on German verbs I have yet seen. I won't bother to extol its virtues in detail as other reviewers have already admirably done so.

But if German verbs are your thing, this is the reference work to have.

The book itself is well worth the money, but the accompanying CD-ROM full of interactive exercises and tests makes it more than worth its weight in gold. Work hard and regularly at it and you will become a master of the German verb forms.

Just one caveat: although the CD-ROM content looks and functions much better than other similar programs of its age, it is designed for versions of Windows only up to XP. The program is buggy on Windows 7, for example, even in compatibility mode, making it virtually useless there. God knows how it works, if at all, under Windows 8 and 10.
But if you're running Win 7 you can run it in Windows XP mode and there it works just fine. They really need to update the software so it runs on modern OSes.

UPDATE: McGrawHill sent me an executable which runs on Win 7 and Win 10 no problems. Now I'm totally happy!

Unbedingt kaufen!
on 18 August 2013
The book is well laid-out, and a very useful tool, whether you're starting from scratch or are an advanced learner. The CD doesn't work on my PC, hence the 4* rating - I can get part of it - the test questions - but only some of the answers. However, for the price, it's well worth the money
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 8 January 2014
I started learning German using a tutor on a one to one basis.

In a two hour session there is only so much that a tutor can achieve per week. I knew that I needed to work privately to expand my knowledge and needed a good reference book in order to develop what had been taught.

Using this book, I have been able to write simple sentences which I can show to my tutor. If I make mistakes, these can be corrected by my tutor and the error can be explained.

This book is useful for the student who wants to push on outside the tutorial. It is not the answer to every problem, but by making mistakes, lessons can be learned.

I would certainly recommend the purchase of the book.
VINE VOICEon 12 January 2010
I bought this when I started brushing up on my German in time for an Open University course. As it had been some time since I'd sat in a classroom asking for cups of tea and loaves of bread in a foreign language, I was looking forward to studying a language more on my own terms, and this book didn't disappoint.

It has a great selection of the most common verb forms, as well as some of the trickier irregular ones. I agree with other reviewers, that the grammar section leaves a little to be desired however, the book is so comprehensive in its stated cover title - "Verbs!" - that I am more than willing to overlook that. I would recommend you also purchase the Hammer's German Grammar and Usage as well as the Practising German Grammar: A Workbook for Use with Hammer's German Grammar and Usage (Hodder Arnold Publication) to go along with your studies.

However, this book, an easy 5 out of 5.
on 1 June 2010
This is a large, heavy, comprehensive and invaluable volume, listing the complete conjugations of 555 verbs.

50 of the verbs are rated as 'Top 50 Verbs' and have two full pages devoted to them - giving over 40 example sentences, including a special 'Idiomatic Expressions' section. The remaining verbs have a small number of example sentences (6 or 7 and upwards). Each verb also has a small section listing 'related verbs'. There is an index of 4200 German-English verbs and an English-German verb index covering the 555. There is also a 36-page introductory grammar section.

The standard of the example sentences is quite high - higher than for GCSE and much higher than in comparison with, say, the Italian version. The examples include quotations from German writers and the Bible.

The book comes with a CD-ROM containing a generous amount of exercises. [You may have problems running it on Windows 7]

It is a fairly hefty volume - worth considering if you need to carry many books.

Context: I am currently studying German and am about to take my GCSE [June 2010]. I am an older, experienced language learner and teacher. I am currently using the book in conjunction with frequency lists of the most popular German verbs - which helps me focus on the more important verbs to study. I am also using a computerised flashcard programme to aid my study.
on 31 March 2008
I bought this book a few months ago to help me with my German A level. It has more than paid for itself with the usage I get out of it!

First of all, the slightly not so good points... I have to admit though, it wasn't exactly what I expected. The grammar section at the front is really helpful, but it isn't comprehensive (a specific grammar book will be better for that). It's better for translating from German to English, since the verbs are only in German and there's no English to cross reference with.

However, the good points outweigh these so much, they're not worth worrying about. There is also a very helpful set of phrases at the bottom of each verb page, which show you how it is used in the German language. This not only shows you how it should be used, but also gives you a couple of phrases that you can nick for yourself if needs be! The verbs are really well set out and all the forms are represented - It's helpful when you're unsure of a conjugation since it's already there for you! At the back is a really long list of almost every German verb, and their English meanings.

I would recommend this for anyone who's studying or learning German past AS level.
on 9 February 2015
Previously purchased the Big Blue Book of 555 French Verbs
which has been invaluable so decided to buy the German equivalent.
Have found it equally useful and would recommend it for learning
all the German tenses and usage.
on 5 January 2017
Comprehensive book
on 22 March 2016
A useful and comprehensive reference