Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now Fitbit

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 23 Nov 2008, 23:54:13 GMT
Yet more in the Rusty Brown series. Every diminishing returns since Corrigan. Yet another tale of a socially inept childlike adult that fails at life. Ware seems to have said all he needed to with Corrigan and is just padding out old themes. What's the point, we get your childhood was unhappy, get over it already! This is my last Ware book, I'm not sticking around for yet more of the same bullsh*t in volume 20. I thought superhero comics have become pointless, but stories about middle-age masturbators isn't a good replacement. Get a grip, but not on your penis.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Jun 2010, 13:57:16 BST
g100 says:
I couldn't disagree with this view more. This is probably Ware's best work to date. Claiming that his work is purely about a "socially inept" and "middle aged masturbator" that fails at life is missing the point entirely and is an oversimplification in the extreme.
I can't think of one character that Ware has introduced us to that isn't a failure in some way or another. Whats fascinating, touching, sometimes painful and sometimes funny is discovering why. After all, aren't we all failures to a greater or lesser degree? Everyone has hopes and aspirations that they never end up achieving which are conveniently forgotten and tucked away once they reach adulthood. Everybody hurts. Everyone has secrets and yearnings. Hell, I'll push the boat out and say everbody masturbates!
Yes, there are themes which Ware touches upon frequently in his body of work but the themes he chooses to explore are universal and can be explored in many different ways. The overriding feeling I get after reading a Ware book is a sense of understanding what it is to be a human and for that i am grateful.
But, each to their own i suppose. I am just very sorry for you that you can't see it.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  2
Total posts:  2
Initial post:  23 Nov 2008
Latest post:  14 Jun 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

This discussion is about
Acme Novelty Library: No. 19
Acme Novelty Library: No. 19 by Chris Ware (Hardcover - 30 Nov. 2008)
4.7 out of 5 stars (10)