Top critical review
152 people found this helpful
CHOOSE YOUR SELLER
on 3 November 2012
This is a good kit if this is the first time you are installing LED strip lights. It was my first time and so I will list the pros and cons as I experienced them:
1. Good amount of light for ambience lighting. This has 150 LEDs total (more expensive ones have 300 LEDs) and it can change colour and it's dimmable.
2. Remote control is ok, lots of functions.
3. Glue on back of strip seems ok to stick to surfaces (I stuck mine on the back of a corner desk for some corner lighting.
4. Easy to connect everything up and get it running.
1. The supplied adaptor was WORTHLESS for me. Worked for about 3 hours then stopped working. Had to buy another adaptor.
2. The parts seem and feel quite cheap, especially the remote and the adaptor.
3. The LED strip is not AS flexible as you would like. If you bend it too much (e.g. 180 degrees) the lights that are in the bent portion begin to do weird things like getting stuck on one colour (in my case green). I fixed it by wrapping those two lights in black tape so it doesn't spoil the overall effect. But consider that I didn't do a proper job of it. I should have cut it and resoldered the connections for a proper fit. I don't have a soldering iron! If you do then it wouldn't be a big problem for you.
4. It's not bright enough to replace normal lighting. If you are looking for LED strip lights for use as your main lighting you should invest in more expensive ones (and not colour changing ones!). If you do this be careful that you buy the correct adaptor (the more lights you have the better adaptor you need, i.e. higher current rating ones)
Do not buy from any chinese sellers (avoid Lei Yang especially, also goes by name of GlobeTradeExpert). Even if these sellers are endorsed by Amazon you will end up with some sort of headache. In my case I got lucky because Amazon sorted me out a full refund. But you really don't want the hassle. If you want to do a proper job, get soldering irons and buy the lights separately, a controller separately, and a power adaptor separately. Do not bend this strip light through stupid angles like me, otherwise the lights may get funny on you.