Top critical review
9 people found this helpful
Useable but with broken switches
on 1 November 2013
The trigger set works but two receivers arrived with a permanently 'on' power switch.
The four receivers each require two AAA batteries. The transmitter uses a small 12 volt battery of the type often used for wireless keyfobs; this battery can only be replaced by unscrewing the transmitter cover. The wireless link can use any one of 16 possible channels, chosen using four little switches, but this feature is unlikely to be necessary most of the time.
I've only used these items at short-range -- never more than three metres between transmitter and receiver. Subjectively I'd say that the receivers have triggered correctly at least 29 times out of 30. I presume that the occasional miss-fires that I have experienced are due to interference from other radio transmitters in the vicinity. In any case, for me, miss-fires have never been a problem since it has always been possible to simply retake the shot.
The receivers each have a small on-off slide-switch; on two of the receivers in the set I received the switch does nothing -- the receiver is functional regardless of how the switch is set, and consequently I expect that receiver to drain its batteries more quickly than the others (unless of course I take the batteries out between sessions of use).
The transmitter doesn't need a distinct on-off switch since it is only 'on' when the trigger is operated. It does, however, have a manual trigger button which can be pressed at any time to trigger the flashes.
I find myself a little disappointed about the broken switches but, overall, I'm satisfied with the set.
The receivers are intended to work with flash guns that offer only a low voltage (12 volts or less) to the trigger terminals. If you have old flash guns from your film SLR past keep in mind that some models offered over 100 volts to the hot-shoe trigger terminals. I have some Sunagor units on which I've measured over 200 volts at the hot-shoe terminals. Such a voltage was harmless to the mechanical switch in an old film SLR but will instantly destroy the electronic switch in one of these receivers. If your flash-gun is from the 1980s or earlier, or if it has a neon indicator, it is very likely to present a high voltage to the terminals.