on 16 September 2014
I mostly agree with the positive reviews that have already been posted for this products - so I will add to them where I can:

Touch-pad:
Because the touch-pad can identify upto three fingers the range of actions that can be dictated from it are impressive. This is particularly important because when using Windows 8.1 you sometime wish (or feel you should have) had a touch screen. In this regard the touch-pad acts as a nice middle ground between a touch and non-touch screen laptop.

Updates:
Yes they do take forever - especially when they fail (total 2 days for me) - however you only have to do such intense updating once.

Keyboard/Typing:
Personally I haven't had any issues when typing with regards to accidentally activating the touch-pad.

Size:
Compared to my old Dell Studio laptop, which had the same size screen, it is quiet wide. An indication of this is that keyboard comprises of a full keyboard and a numerical pad and still has a good amount of space on the sides. Still very thin.

Conclusion:
Great laptop especially for the price.
on 9 November 2014
Brought this for my niece in year 11 who wanted a laptop that she could use for everything- homework,music,watching movies, etc. This laptop has not let her down at all Great laptop and a great price. Couldn't ask for more
on 20 June 2014
Excellent so far,no complaints.The screen was ideal for my purposes.I would have preferred a metal body rather than plastic though for astetic reasons.Speed is good and graphics fine.
on 24 February 2015
Windows 8 aside, this is a good laptop. I've had mine for 6 months and it's still working like new. Good build quality and a lightweight machine. The keyboard is nice to use and the display clear and bright. It's quiet and doesn't get too warm like some other laptops. Only thing that slightly lets it down is the battery life, which is my experience is under 2 hours. Overall though, excellent value for money.
on 6 October 2014
It seems to me there are two types of reviews on here. Those that rate the laptop really well and those that slate windows 8. Here's my explanation:

When I got the laptop it looks and feels really nice. A lot better than expected.
I started it up and it takes a long time to boot. Then eventually you get the start screen. Windows 8 is totally unusable as an operating system on its own. If you dont believe me, just google it.
So, you have no choice but to upgrade. This is free however, so its not too bad. Or so you think.

You cant just update to windows 8.1. You have to update all of the patches for 8 first. There are 103 of them. So I spent 20mins trying to figure out how to navigate to the control panel and start the update.

At last I started the download. I started this at 10am Saturday morning. I left it running at at 2pm it was still going. Then the configuring profile part crashed leaving windows unbootable. I used my desktop to google a solution and apparently you just had to leave it running for 2 hours and it would sort itself out. This is a known issue and happens with this this (any many other) laptops during this update.
Well I left it for 2 hours and no joy, so afer much more googling I found that you can reset back to factory settings by pressing f9 during boot.
So its not 4.30pm and im back to where i started.
I then retried again, but this time only one update at a time. The machine rebooted and decided it would download another 90 updates on its own.
I left it running and at 9pm it had completed all 90 successfully. I then tried to instal 8.1 but i needed to install more 8.0 updates. Just 12 more, so I did that and it took until 11.30pm.
Once these installed, I tried 8.1 again but it still said I needed more updates. I checked windows update and another 60 updates had appeared.
So I left this overnight running.
During this time, I checked the cpu, ram and disk IO to see why it was taking so long to install these updates. The ram was fine, usage was about 2.5 gb but the disk io was at 100% and processor at 80+%.
The disk is simply not fast enough and the processor not powerful enough to install the updates. In other words the hardware was not fit for purpose.
At this point I thought id have to return it.
In the morning, I found the updates had installed and I could finally install 8.1.
I did this, and it took another 4 hours. It was now 2.30pm on Sunday and I had 8.1 up and running.
To my amazement, the processor and disk IO is fine and the os is running smoothly.
So in other words the hard ware is fine. It just cant run 8.0.
So it took 36 hours of pain to get a working OS.
I therefore give this 2 stars because at the point of sale it is not fit for purpose. I dont give it one star because you can get it to be fit for purpose with a lot of pain.
on 25 October 2014
Light, fast, good graphics. Since 90% of the human race is right handed, why is the mouse access port on the left?
on 11 August 2014
Bought to replace a previous Asus laptop that had done sterling service. Very happy with the actual machine, worked fine "out of the box". However Windows 8 is in my opinion an abysmal product, that should be confined to the flames of hell. Also had problems downloading and installing Window updates
on 27 June 2014
If you like how this computer looks then you have a selected choice of what goes on inside, cpu, ram and hard drive to fit most requirements. So far I'm very pleased with my choice.
on 16 July 2014
The hardware seams good and boot up from standby or off is quick enough for me, The touch pad is in my opinion good, it has some gesture features to help navigate W8, the laptop runs cool and quietly so far.

Software:
I expect W8 will be an acquired taste but initially it is a bit of a challenge to navigate, (well worth looking at the ASUS tutorial app)
the laptop comes with a lot of preloaded "freeware" that is irritating and seams to pop up to play adverts without invitation. this is the only reason I have not given and initial 5 star
on 8 August 2014
Bought this for my nice, she really loves it, very small for factor charger as well.