Customer reviews

on 28 June 2007
I hadn't picked this up in it's original print as I was dubious about the concept. Mutant PI team had gimmick written all over it. I shouldn't have worried as Peter David is a very good writer and his run on the previous run of x-factor was the highlight of the comic entire run.

On the art, it is atmospheric, clearly leaning towords a film noir feel. Ryan Sook isn't an all time great artist but his panels tell the story clearly and get the right feel for the story.

As for the writing and the story, well its all set up here. setting up the new team, the new status quo post 'M' day etc. One of the things that put me off this was the focus on multiple man. he has always been a C list X-men reject, only Peter David ever did much with him. Guess what? He made me like him, he made the character intersting and significant. Wolfsbane is similarly treated herein, actually so is Strong guy, and the de powered rictor. And S... you get the picture. The characters are mostly b listers who are given a decent overhaul.

Well worth picking up, now I need to get the rest of the series.
on 4 February 2008
I've never been a fan of superhero teams, as I feel that they rarely explore each character adequately. Now that's not to say that I'm not a comic book geek but I do prefer those books that really offer a convincing cast. I especially avoid works featuring second-string heroes, as they (understandably) tend to be staffed by comparably talented writers and artists.

With that established, X-Factor blew me away.

It's not perfect, but Peter David has taken some of the most uninspiring characters in the Marvel universe and produced a compelling set of personalities. The team dynamic is relentlessly dysfunctional, an extension of Multiple Man's internal struggle. Layla Miller, who played such an important part in the recent 'House Of M' series finally gets the attention she deserves. Some characters have to wait until the following books for their identities to be explored but even before this happens the confident dialogue hints at a deeper side to each of them.

The art is good, though not on a par with the dialogue. Though combat and action sequences aren't at the level of some of the major Marvel properties, they can be impressive. Facial expressions can be a little wooden but the panel design and character positioning is often enough to make up for this.

I've read the first few in this series now and reached for each sequel with increasing excitement. Given the paucity of genuinely compelling characters in comic form, an achievement like X-Factor deserves to be a success. So go make it one.
VINE VOICEon 7 October 2012
I'd encountered this grouping of X-fator during The Messsiah Complex and in more detail in the Civil War series. On that basis I just had to find out more, and was not disappointed. The art work takes a bit of getting to use to, but on a re-read I found its sparse and grimey approach ideally suited to this interesting but woebegone crew. Previously second-stringers and also-rans this is a great format to explore in detail the implications of what it is to be Madox and how each dupe is facet of his personality, Rictor comes across a true and adept survivor even if he does not quite realise it at this stage. M is wonderfully sardonic and Syrin not a lady to be crossed. Strong Guy very much the likeable and (almost) gentle giant, though how long will that last and finally there is Layla Miller...yes there is Layla Miller possibly the most perplexing character in the X-world. Set in the aftermath of M-day with X-factor trying to impose itself as the protector of Mutant town there are all manner of interesting plots set up and running...one small gripe why did we have to have Whinging Depowered Man as a charcter who captures Syrin and takes up 5-6 pages with his moaning-cod-philosophy..the only positive thing I can say is he get's hung and dead at the end. OK Soap-Box over...this is a fine TPB, I'm going to have to carry on with the series.
on 6 April 2007
I was worried about this book when I looked at it. Seeing as it had a lot to live up to after the superb MADROX and Marvel Universe spanning House Of M in which.... you'll have to read that to find out....

X-factor introduces a misfit team who protects Mutant Town whle also taking on cases and PIs.

Just the idea alone was worth a check. Mutant who dunnits.

OK, it wasn't quite that but this first graphic novel gives you enough to ensure you want more. Can't wait for the next volume.

And marevlously comfy read that leaves you looking for more.
on 1 June 2014
This book was not as good as I had hoped it would be. I don't think that art work is much good and I didn't think that the overall storyline was much good. Still, its only my opinion and I think that others should read it.