on 20 August 2017
I tried to get into this story, but couldn't go on with it. I felt there was too much dialogue just for the sake of conversation, that didn't move the story forward and it started, therefore, to get a bit tedious. It's supposed to take place in the late Victorian era, but it didn't feel authentic and, as I was reading, I had to keep reminding myself that it wasn't a modern story. I was attracted by the wonderful idea of the plot, but the writing didn't engage me. Sorry.
on 21 December 2016
I loved this story from beginning to end! Great writing, suspense and characters and a mystery to solve.

The fantasy /paranormal story is a gothic novel about a girl and kept in an attic, but that isn't Hannah's only problem. Then things take an unexpected turn.

Who is Hannah, what is she and why is this happening to her?

Find out by reading this great story - and, like me, you'll want to know more - so I bought the trilogy.
on 22 May 2017
Not as good as the Glass and Steele books. The supernatural element is a little far fetched, nonetheless, an interesting mystery and a foundation for more adventures for these quirky characters.
on 2 March 2017
Very engrossed with story line.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 8 November 2017
Very good book
on 2 April 2016
Excellent book, a few good twists, thoroughly enjoyed and would highly recommend!
on 27 October 2017
Love this series.
on 24 December 2014
Quick easy book to read and it held my interest throughout. I might consider reading the sequel.
on 17 January 2015
Never read C J Archer books before..wow,,what have i been missing ..Brilliant read, so good had to down load the remaining last two in the series and believe me I was not dissappointed..So go on give this book a go as its a free read....
on 18 July 2013
This was one fantastic read! A really fascinating story which I couldn't put down, so this is easily a 5 stars. Isn't there a 6 star option?

The characters really came to life for me, and there was plenty of mystery and drama, and even a spark of romance.

Hannah was loyal and strong, Jack was headstrong and Sylvia? Well, I still think she's hiding something. Bollard was creepy and more than a little scary.

The twists in this book are excellent and I wasn't even expecting most of them. It's great to be surprised by a book, by the way the plot is woven, especially when there are so few original ideas out there. I don't know if this book will be to everyone's tastes, but I freaking love it, it's an excellent start to the series which I know I will continue reading.

I am now more eager than ever to read C.J. Archer's Emily Chambers series, that little reference has got me intrigued. Thank goodness I already have the first book!