on 5 November 2008
I have read many spiritual and self help books but since reading the "Game of Life and how to play it" by Florence Scovel Shinn I have rarely strayed to other authors.

The comprehensive writings of the Florence Scovel Shinn have become some what of a guide to me, having what I would call the answer or the way to find the answer to all questions I might have.

If I am ever stuck I will randomly open a page of the book and there will be some inspirational and relevant words to my personal situation which will either raise my spirits or point me in a new and exiting direction.

Before reading this book I never realised how much I and everyone else fearfully worry about things that simply never happen and this has meant I now see life from a new positive prospective.

This book has something for every one and a different meaning for different problems every time you read it, so you will never get bored.

I would certainly recommend this book
on 25 October 1996
Florence Scovel Shinn has many true, personal and inspiring
stories to tell to each one of us that spans all generations.
Her positive and practical approach to life teaches us how
to CREATE what we want to get out of our lives and how to
bring that into fruition through an open mind and prayer.
Ms. Shinn was creating this positive self-help approach to
life generations before the phrase 'self-help' was even
coined. I continue to reap benefit from her book as I
periodically reread it for direction and inspiration. Anyone
who enjoys reading Emmet Fox or Dr. Norman Vincent Peale(both
of whom reviewed her book) will enjoy her spiritually
practical and humorously laced writings. A book everyone
can benefit from!
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 16 January 2009
I discovered her when a self help site featured her writings.

Florence, in her writing is a very conscious, and enlightened woman who uses metaphor to great effect. This is four books in one volume, and its value way exceeds the price.

Many of her examples are derived from the Bible, and adapted to our personal situations. One such case is blowing down the walls of Jericho. The walls of Jericho represent our fears which need to be dissolved. I feel like she opened up my mind with some of these metaphors, and I nderstood them in a new way.

She is a metaphysical writer, and her wisdom, and sage advice permeates. One piece of advice is not to talk to everyone about your business, and plans. This, I found helpful because I had made the mistake of talking about it to the wrong person. The world is full of wet blanket people who will instil doubt in your goals. Doubt divides the path.

Her writing style is fascinating and never dull, and reminds me a little of Napoleon Hill.

One of the many stories in this book is the inner meaning of Snow White, and Ali Baba.

The only caveat in this book is, if you are resistant to the Bible, you may not like this book so much, as it does have a strong spiritual element.

There are also many affirmations used throughout this book. My favorite one is: That which I seek is also seeking me.

I whole heartedly recommend this book. I hope you find this review helpful.
22 Comments| 15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 May 2010
For all readers who are on the journey of metaphysical life! This book contains 4 of Florences classic books. Her words encourage, provide insight and give testimonies of those who have followed her lessons.
The Game of Life and how to play it provides useful affirmations to use. The affirmations are a powerful tool, as further described in Your Word is your Wand!
One of my all time books, I love Florence and see is instrumental to changing my life. If you believe then it will help you too.
This is a great collection of spiritual works. My favorite book in this collection is THE GAME OF LIFE AND HOW TO PLAY IT.
on 28 June 1998
It is the most educational spiritual book I have EVER read."THE GAME OF LIFE" and how to play it. It basically says that life is just a game, and their IS a way to play it! It has changed my (mind). Life is far more exiciting now, after reading it.
on 17 August 2012
This book can only be described as life changing. It should be taught in schools as a positive way to having the life you were born to have. One filled with joy and happiness. For me this book marked a turning point and brought together several issues and questions I had been struggling with for a long time. Having been through two hellish years, I am now more at peace with myself and can firmly leave behind the traumas of the past. And it's contagious. The moment I started practicing her teachings, life got sweeter not just for me but for those close to me. Everything shifted.

if this book comes into your hands, it will be because it was meant to at that moment, and I assure you, you will find it difficult to put down.
on 26 October 2010
THIS BOOK HAS ANSWERED ALL THE QUESTIONS THAT I DIDN'T EVEN REALISE I WANTED TO ASK, IT HAS SIMPLIFIED LIFE FOR ME.IT SHOULD BE AVAILABLE AND BROUGHT TO THE ATTENTION OF EVERYONE, ITS MESSAGE IS LIFECHANGING AND SO SIMPLE.
on 12 February 2010
The way I found this book via a review on Amazon was synchronicity. I read this and thought wow. It has altered my thinking, especially with cosmic ordering. Be careful what you wish for as it usually comes true!!

Well worth reading although it may seem a bit religious but the core message is brilliant. A great primer text in metaphysics and cosmic ordering. See Abraham Hicks for the main Law of Attraction stuff.
on 11 August 2015
This book literally changed my life about 15 years ago and I always have a copy close to hand. It totally clicked with me and changed the way I though about myself and life - no exaggeration. It's one I return to again and again and I've given it to like-minded friends who've also loved it. The Game of Life and How to Play it is the one to read, if you're only going to read one. Very short, you could easily do it in 2 hours, I'd say. Definitely food for thought, at the very least. It was my first book of this kind, I've gone on to read so many more, but this is the one that spoke most to me.