Format: Paperback|Change

on 7 October 2009
If, like me, you are scared of the big 'D' in your last year of university then you have to purchase this book. The author clearly states that the book doesnt need to be read cover to cover but used as a reference guide, which I have been doing. The author also explains everything so simply s not to confuse you even more.
If you're confused at what needs to be included in a dissertation proposal, it tells you whats needed plus more handy hints to make sure you get top marks. If you dont undestand research methods, the book goes over many methods and analysis techniques.
I could go on about how good this book is, but really, I recommend it to all who is about to write a dissertation or half way through and hit that brick wall.
22 comments| 57 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 June 2012
Gotta say I couldn't have done my dissertation without this book! It was brilliant and guides you through each section step by step with checklists so you know you have everything covered. If I hadn't had this book I definitely would have panicked a lot more and not got as good a grade for my dissertation! The only thing I can think of that I needed a bit more guidance on was statistical analysis and qualitative data analysis, but that is because it was specific to my course and dissertation and a general book like this would never be able to cover everything for every dissertation. Still, it was worth every penny and is a fantastic resource to base your dissertation structure on.
on 4 November 2012
This book is well written and easy to understand. it is a must have item for any student undertaking their final year dissertation. I am a dyslexic student and I have found it easy to understand and read.Writing a Dissertation For Dummies
on 26 February 2012
One of the problems with writing a book on this subject is that different institutions and, within them, different programmes, each have their own, often slightly different, dissertation requirements. Furthermore, the individualistic nature of each student's dissertation is such that the recipe book approach adopted by this book is of limited value.

Before you buy this book check the contents page and see how this compares with the format and content requirements that apply to your dissertation. Some of the sections e.g. Literature Review - will be the same but look at the detail and you might see significance differences.

You're unlikely to find a single book that has all the answers to your questions - they're all too general. My advice would be to buy/borrow separate books. One on Methodology, another on writing a literature review etc. and, above all, study your programme's handbook.
on 24 January 2015
I purchased this book hoping it would help with my dissertation writing. I was wrong! This book is American which means it is of little or no help to UK and European Humanities students! It might help empirical research students though..
on 2 December 2009
This book takes you through the whole process in a clear and direct way with every aspect explained informatively without wasting any valuable time. It will be by my side until the whole process is over!
on 5 May 2015
great book , i am doing a dissertation on work life balance and this book has some useful tips and information for my literature review. Also good for people who want to manage their work and home life and to manage stress.
on 22 April 2016
currently a third year events management student, I'm finishing my dissertation and i could not have done this year without this book, i am also dyslexic and this book helped me so much, it breaks down each section of the dissertation in to smaller sections with clear and easy to understand tips and guides.

overall would recommend to anyone doing a dissertation as it is easy to understand and i have found quite a few friends who have asked to borrow it when stuck have really benefited from it as well.
on 11 April 2010
I agree with the above to a certain extent - the book is very good for handy hints. However, the grammatical errors that are scattered through the book put me off somewhat, and I found it difficult to trust advice from someone who couldn't thoroughly read through their own work.
on 21 September 2013
This book was basically my bible this year! It contains everything you need to know about the dissertation process, and I mean EVERYTHING - the formatting, wordspace, reference/bibliography lists and fantastic advice to develop your critical analysis skills further to get an excellent mark. The writer has a great, non-patronising writing style and explains everything in great detail, even splitting the chapters into non-empirical and empirical dissertations for easy reference. It helped me write a dissertation worth 1st class honours, so I definitely recommend it for any 3rd year student about to start the momentous task of planning, preparing and writing up their dissertation.