on 21 July 2017
I purchased this as a lead up to buying a current version. Although 2 years old, the guide is full of resources for any budding or established writers.
The tips given are quite in-depth and makes the purchase worthwhile. The content is divided into specific categories with relevant contact details for publishers and other useful information collated at the end of each section. Would highly recommend as a starter before buying a current guide.
 Writers' and Artists' Yearbook 2015
HALL OF FAMETOP 500 REVIEWERon 31 July 2014
Re-written after several attacks - in the hope of helping the aspiring writer!

Being a product of a British `secondary modern' education system where my English teacher thought `Shakespeare' was something an athlete did with a javelin, there was neither a formal certificate of education nor any advice about what happens after you leave school. Seriously! Consequently, when (many years later) I produced my first book - there were those who actively disapproved. I was serving in the army at the time and one senior officer actually said to me "By what right do you seek to write a book about Scuba Diving?" Nevertheless, in spite of such disapproval, I am now described as an award-winning, best-selling author.

The relevance of my putting this personal slant on this review is that ANY would-be writer can produce a work worthy of being read by strangers (the ultimate test for any book!) provided the drive to see it through remains undiminished. You simply must not allow those wretched detractors to extinguish your own bright shining light of original creativity! Of course, writing it all down is only part of the process and most first-time authors will have no idea what to do next.

Of all the aids which might be described as `the aspiring writer's best friend,' few compare favourably to this one. Aimed primarily at the UK market, this is not just a collection of addresses for book publishers and magazine editors. Instead, it contains almost everything you might need to know when writing for the different categories of; Books, Magazines, Newspapers, Poetry, TV, Film, Radio, Theatre and so forth. The advice given and lists of outlets is then followed by sections on; Literary Agents, Art & Illustration, Societies, Prizes and Festivals, Online, Resources, Copyright & Libel and Finance - all of which combine to cover almost every element of publishing.

The publisher of this work contacts all contributors ever year in a bid to extract accurate and up-to-date information and cannot, therefore, be blamed for those who fail to respond. There are, therefore, imperfections but what you get is as near-perfect as is possible to achieve.

Book publishers also list their own particular areas of expertise. If you write, say, children's fiction there is no point in submitting your work to a publisher who concentrates solely on, say, Greek history (or whatever). Having identified your market, there is also advice on how to present your manuscript and other tips.

Altogether, therefore, we have the widest possible appreciation for the aspiring writer (and artist!) and had I been in possession of a copy some 30+ years ago!, my own particular journey would have been so much smoother!

In short, all you have to do is ask yourself; `Can I afford to be without a copy of this book?' and proceed from there. And, if you are still disheartened, just consider how many times the first Harry Potter novel was rejected!

And good luck.

NM

PS: My first copy was given to me as a Christmas present and I can think of no better gift for any aspiring writer.
33 Comments| 45 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 July 2017
Really interesting articles - tonnes of industry links
on 9 September 2017
Good
on 7 November 2014
The Writers' and Artists' Yearbook has proved to be an invaluable asset to me for over forty years and has initiated many new ways of working at different times, as trends and opportunities have changed.

It is important to note that I do not purchase it every year, my previous edition being the 2009 one, but this serves to provide me with a reasonable overview of the manner in which publishing and related media have changed in recent years.

Although those with more precise information requirements would benefit from purchasing this worthy publication annually, it must be extremely difficult for the publishers to maintain accurate up-to-date content consistently, as it takes considerable time to publish and distribute a book of this nature.

It was particularly pleasing to find the 2015 version available as a Kindle download. The links between the different parts of the book and the Internet make it extremely easy to navigate.

Personally I would like to see regular updates being applied to electronic versions of the book during the course of a year to address the issue of ensuring that it is as up-to-date as possible.
on 9 December 2014
As a writer this is a key to helping unlock the doors. Last year I made the bad mistake of buying the kindle version. It was horrible to use and it might be suitable for some, but it wasn't for me. It's great to pick up a book, to feel the pages turn in your fingers and it's much easier to use then the kindle edition.
on 25 August 2014
It's a useful starting point but I agree with other comments that it's clearly NOT updated every year. At the end of her article on writing features for newspapers and magazines Merope Mills is listed as the Executive Editor of the Saturday Guardian and formerly the editor of the Guardian's Weekend Magazine, yet in The Guardian's listing she is still named as the editor of the Weekend Magazine. I feel I have to double check all information before contacting someone which makes the purchase a little pointless.
on 11 January 2015
Brilliant! I had a copy in the early nineties and rang just about every publisher in London. New one has lots of political angles which will help you negotiate around the BBC and the agents.
on 7 August 2014
I buy this book every year (though I’m beginning to wonder why).

I also work for one of the publishers listed. It’s not a small or obscure publisher – it turns over hundreds of millions of pounds a year and has five different offices up and down the UK (plus one in Ireland and one in the Netherlands).

To check the claim that this book is “completely revised and updated every year” I keep an eye on my company’s listing, and am disappointed to find that every year they keep republishing (and charging me for) the same out-of-date information that hasn’t been correct since 2010.

We’ve now been through FOUR managing directors since the one listed here, and the Editorial Director listed hasn’t been with the company since 2010.

So what does “completely revised and updated” mean? It certainly doesn’t seem to mean that the information has been checked for accuracy!
33 Comments| 16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 December 2014
Up to its usual high standards packed full of essential information and contact details along with some great essays and 'how-to' features.