on 13 June 2012
Avoid this book like the plague. For a book about writing, it is really badly written. It is full of silly quotes and seems to be about 20 years out of date. The style is pancake flat and utterly uninspiring. I'd recommend How to write a damn good novel, or Self-editing for fiction writers instead - both completely fantastic.
on 27 June 2003
This book is more than useful. I had purchased all the books and found that they were not helping. However, when I first picked up this book I couldn't wait to get home to add new details I had learned from the book. The book is easy to read. You don't spend the time you want to use writing your own book to read this one instead. It is an easy guide to browse through and gain ideas that are easily forgotten, easy to do, but yet I always seemed to not do by habit. I would recommend this book for many reasons, but most of all it helps you write! Isn't that what you want to do after all?!
on 15 August 2011
If you're trying to write a novel and aren't entirely sure if you're going in the right direction, you need this book.
It has so much advice, even on things that I didn't consider.
Chapters on characters, tense, how to get inspired, planning your time, and keeping track of your progress make this really helpful for me.
It's well-written and every fact is backed up by the word of various authors and publishers. It has layout plans for documents that will help you, and rules for creating certain themes.
And that's just the first half.
The second half, although I haven't read it completely yet, is a very detailed guide to finishing up your manuscript and contacting agents and publishers for the first time. Will definitely use it when the time comes.
Overall, 5/5. Extremely helpful, with lots of tips and hints.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse